Although I try to avoid bread as much as possible, I made chili this evening. What goes better with chili than a vegan oil-free cornbread recipe? Nothing!
Typically, vegan cornbread is loaded with butter and fat, which makes it high in calories and anything but healthy. But, oil-free cornbread can be ‘veganized’ and made just as decadent as the real deal.
Despite popular belief, cornbread can be made fat-free and oil-free without sacrificing the texture and taste of typical cornbread. What is the key? Using unsweetened, plant-based milk (almond, coconut or soy) and apple sauce. Yep, that’s it.
Sound simple? It is really simple, and with very few ingredients, you can make vegan cornbread or vegan corn muffins that literally melt in your mouth with some piping hot chili.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CORNBREAD RECIPE OIL-FREE AND FAT-FREE?
So, how do you make this magical oil-free vegan cornbread? In order to get the best results and cornbread you can be proud of, you need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour of choice
- 2 Tablespoons organic vegan sugar plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup of vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup all-natural organic applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave (I used maple syrup)
TIPS FOR MAKING OIL-FREE VEGAN CORNBREAD
- Use apple sauce instead of eggs in recipes
- Any unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk can be used in place of regular milk in any recipe
- Maple syrup or agave can be used as a sugar substitute or added with sugar to reduce the amount of sugar used in recipes
- Use quality non-stick pans
- Also, DON’T OVERMIX the batter. Once the ingredients are in the bowl, stir the batter, combining all the ingredients, without stirring too much. What does that mean? It means all the dry ingredients should be combined.
For example, I LOVE my silicone cake pans! Although I own a variety of quality non-stick pans, I use my silicone baking pans often. If you are making vegan cornbread muffins instead, you can use a silicone muffin pan or paper muffin cups.
Once the cornbread comes out of the oven, it’s important to allow it to completely cool before you cut it into pieces. Despite wanting to eat the vegan cornbread immediately, because it smells so good, cutting any baked good before it cools, makes it fall apart.
CHECK OUT MY DELICIOUS OIL-FREE VEGAN CORNBREAD RECIPE AND THESE GREAT RECIPES TO SERVE WITH VEGAN CORNBREAD…
- Vegan Chili Recipe
- Vegan White Bean Chili
- Vegan Hungarian Goulash
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Skinny Cream of Tomato Soup
- Fennel Tomato Soup
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Chickpea Soup
- Skinny Detox Lentil Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Carrot Soup
- Very Veggie and Bean Soup