Although I try to avoid bread as much as possible, I made chili this evening. What goes better with chili than vegan oil-free corn bread? Nothing!
Corn bread is typically loaded with butter and fat, which makes it high is calories and anything but healthy. But, oil-free corn bread can be ‘veganized’ and made just as decadent as the real deal.
Despite popular belief, cornbread can be made fat free and oil free without sacrificing the texture and taste of typical cornbread. What is the key? Using non-dairy milk (almond, coconut or soy) and apple sauce. Yep, that’s it. Sound simple? It is really simple, and with very few ingredients, you can make these mini muffins that literally pop right in your mouth with some piping hot chili.
This cornbread is low in fat, oil-free, and delicious. Although they go prefect with chili, they are wonderful as a side for a salad, or alone as a breakfast treat!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour of choice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup all-natural organic applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave (I used maple syrup)
Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- I uses a round silicone cake pan for cake like wedges of cornbread.
- You can also use a silicone mini muffin pan, mini muffin paper wraps, or dust regular muffin tin with flour.
- You do not need to use spray oil or any other oil for non-sticking.
- You an also use an 8×8 silicone square pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder; stir.
- Add the soy milk, applesauce and maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- Pour batter into mini muffin tin using a 1/3 cup measuring cup to avoid overfilling.
- Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Cool briefly before removing from pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- I served with chili
Keywords: corn bread, corn bread muffins, muffins, vegan muffins, vegan bread