Although I try to eat salads often, I need to remind myself to eat more greens. Since becoming plant-based, I also need to bring variety to my meal plan to include nutrient-dense greens. Salad, although sometimes boring to some, can be vibrant and full of choices and combinations. Since my garden is bursting with tomatoes and cucumbers, I decided to make southwest chickpea quinoa salad for dinner.
Not only is this salad full of superfoods, but it also does not contain any oil. First, the chickpeas and quinoa work wonderfully with the fresh, diced vegetables. Make this salad ahead of time, and it won't get soggy.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR SOUTHWEST CHICKPEA QUINOA SALAD?
SOUTHWEST CHICKPEA QUINOA SALAD:
- Canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed (keep the aquafaba from the can for another recipe)
- English cucumber (skin on), diced
- Red bell pepper, diced
- Red onion, diced
- Grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Jalapeño pepper (deseeded) chopped
- Purple cabbage, chopped
- Cooked red quinoa (cooled before adding to the salad)
- Sliced avocado
Although I chose various vegetables for southwest chickpea quinoa salad, you can add or delete ones you don't prefer. I love the texture of the chickpeas with the crunchy cucumbers, red peppers, and tomatoes, even though I must say. To make sure I stayed with my southwest theme, I also cumin it into my dressing.
WHAT'S IN THE OIL-FREE DRESSING?
Making oil-free dressing, for instance, is very simple. Despite the myth that oil is important to diet, oil is simply fat, which isn't needed. Instead, a combination of healthy, fresh ingredients makes an easy, fresh dressing.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Garlic, minced
- Pure Maple Syrup or date syrup
- Dijon Mustard
- Garlic powder
Once all the ingredients are tossed together in a large bowl, dress the southwest chickpea quinoa salad ahead of time. In fact, the earlier the salad is dressed, the more flavor the parsley and quinoa absorb. And, it's just as fresh and flavorful throughout the week for leftovers.
If you haven't noticed yet, I always make an extra salad, so we have lunches the next day. Or I meal prep a lot of quinoa to use during the week for another recipe.
Not only does it help with food prep, but it forces me to use all my leftovers.
Another bonus to Southwest Chickpea Quinoa Salad is how cool and fresh it is. Although I am serving it for dinner tonight, it travels well for lunch as well.
How long does chickpea quinoa salad last refrigerated?
- 5-6 days covered
Should the salad be dressed if storing in the refrigerator?
- Definitely! The salad is best when marinated in the dressing It won't get soggy!
If using the avocado, should I add it right before serving?
- Yes; the avocado should be added right before serving as well as the microgreens. The avocado will brown, and the microgreens will wilt over time, so garnish right before serving.
How much protein is in chickpeas?
- For every Tablespoon, chickpeas have 2.4 grams of protein and only 46 calories.
What are chickpeas?
- Also called garbanzo beans, chickpeas are legumes.
LOOKING FOR GREAT SALAD RECIPES TO MAKE DURING THE WEEK? MIX IT UP!
- Grilled Caesar Salad
- Bean Salad
- Lentil Salad
- Tabouli Salad
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Fattoush Salad
- Skinny Vegan Rainbow Salad
- Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Broccoli Curry Crunch Salad
I challenge you to eat a different salad every day for your overall health and wellness. Let's get healthy for better living.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂