Although I try to eat salads often, I need to continually remind myself to eat more salad. Since becoming plant-based, it is important for me to bring variety in my meal plan so I don't get bored. Salad, although boring to some, can be vibrant and full of choices and varieties. Since my garden is bursting with tomatoes and cucumbers, I decided to make southwest chickpea quinoa salad for dinner tonight.
Not only is this salad full of superfoods, it does not contain any oil. First, the chickpeas and quinoa work wonderfully with the fresh, diced vegetables. In fact, this salad can be made ahead of time, and it won't get soggy.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR SOUTHWEST CHICKPEA QUINOA SALAD?
SOUTHWEST CHICKPEA QUINOA SALAD:
- 2 15.5 ounces canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed (keep the aquafaba from the can for another recipe)
- 1 large English cucumber (skin on), diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup chopped, fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh mint
- 1 jalapeño pepper (deseeded) chopped
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 2 cup cooked red quinoa (cooled prior to adding to the salad)
Although I chose a variety of my favorite vegetables for southwest chickpea quinoa salad, you can choose to add or delete ones you don't prefer. Even though, I must say I love the texture of the chickpeas with the crunchy cucumbers, red peppers, and tomatoes. In order to make sure I stayed with my southwest theme, I also cumin into my dressing.
WHAT'S IN THE OIL-FREE SOUTHWEST CHICKPEA QUINOA SALAD DRESSING?
Making oil-free dressing, for instance is very simple. Despite the myth that oil is important to diet, oil is simply fat, which isn't needed. Instead, a combination of healthy, fresh ingredients, makes an easy, fresh dressing.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- The juice of 1 lemon (or 3 Tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Once all the ingredients are tossed together in a large bowl, southwest chickpea quinoa salad can be dressed ahead of time. In fact, the earlier the salad is dressed, the more flavor the parsley and quinoa absorb. And, it's just as fresh and flavorful throughout the week for leftovers.
If you haven't noticed yet, I always make extra salads, so we have lunches the next day. Or I meal prep a lot of quinoa, to use during the week for another recipe. Not only does it help with food prep, but it forces me to use all my leftovers. Another bonus to Southwest Chickpea Quinoa Salad is how cool and fresh it is. Although I am serving it for dinner tonight, it travels well for lunch as well.
LOOKING FOR GREAT SALAD RECIPES TO MAKE DURING THE WEEK? MIX IT UP!
- Grilled Caesar Salad
- Bean Salad
- Lentil Salad
- Tabouli Salad
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Fattoush Salad
- Skinny Vegan Rainbow Salad
- Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Broccoli Curry Crunch Salad
I challenge you to eat a different salad every day for your overall health and wellness. Let's get healthy for better living.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂