Although similar to my Chickpea Tuna Salad, curried chickpea salad has a unique flavor and interesting ingredients. I love curry, so today, while prepping a charcuterie board to take to my daughter's house, I thought I'd add curried chickpea salad.
Cooking on the weekend makes healthy eating easier all week long. For example, I quickly cook a big pot of vegan soup or stew and prep salads and other healthy foods to eat for lunch throughout the week.
However, I used a small portion for my charcuterie board and made more lunches this week.
What ingredients are in curried chickpea salad?
All you need to make this curried chickpea salad is a few ingredients.
- Canned chickpeas
- Shredded carrots
- Red onion, diced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Vegan cashew mayo (substitute cashews with white beans or silken tofu for a nut-free option)
- Curry powder
- Dried cranberries (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Remember, the curry and other spices enhance in favor as they sit in the refrigerator. Moreover, you can always add more later; however, once mixed in, you can't take it away, so add a small amount and adjust as you prepare.
How to make and serve curried chickpea salad
First, I prefer to use my Mini-Cuisinart Food Processor to mash the chickpeas roughly. Or, mash chickpeas with a fork by hand.
Then, transfer the mashed chickpeas to a bowl and add the vegetables, Vegan Cashew Mayo, and spices.
Next, cover and place the curried chickpea salad in the refrigerator. The ingredients and spices enhance over time while chilling in the fridge.
Once the salad is chilled, there are various ways I enjoy eating this chickpea salad.
Serve on a bed of lettuce with additional vegetables and fruit, not the side.
Or, serve inside oil-free pita bread.
Another way to enjoy this tasty salad is to serve it as a highlight on a charcuterie board as an appetizer.
Regardless of how you enjoy curried chickpea salad, you will love the flavors!
So, if you are a weekend food preparation person like me, give it a try. It is quick and easy to prepare, and you will love every bite. I promise. The curried chickpeas salad recipe lasts 4-5 days covered in the refrigerator.
I love vegan sandwich spreads and salads. Here are some of my favorites to share.
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Jackfruit Tuna Salad
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Vegan Egg Salad
- Cobb Eggless Tofu Salad
- Basil White Bean and Chickpea Dip and Sandwich Spread
- Oil-Free Hummus and Tabbouleh Wrap
- Red Lentil Curry Wrap
Vegan Curry Chickpea Sandwich Spread
CURRIED CHICKPEA SALAD
- 15 ounces chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup vegan mayo recipe below
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup dried cranberries optional
- 1 cup organic raw cashews substitute silken tofu or white beans for a nut-free option
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup water
CURRY CHICKPEA SALAD
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and put them in a food processor with a large blade.
- Pulse until partially mashed (some will still be in halves); you don't want it mushy
- Add celery, onions, carrots, cilantro, curry seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste and dried cranberries (if using)
- Add ¼ cup dressing (save extra mayo for other recipes during the week). It lasts 7 days in the refrigerator
- Drain and rinse cashews
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender
- Blend until smooth
- Add ¼ cup dressing to the salad
- Stir and refrigerate
- Serve on toasted bread, in a pita, or a wrap
- Serve on greens
- Serve with crackers
- Or eat in a bowl with a fork
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂