Are you looking for a quick and easy cold Asian noodle salad? Then, the Asian pasta salad recipe is for you. While planning dinner this week, the heatwave shifted me toward cold salads. Not only is this Asian-style salad easy to make, but this Asian bowtie pasta salad is also full of fresh veggies and deep flavor. So if you're looking for a healthy and flavorful Asian pasta salad with yummy teriyaki salad dressing, look no further.
I love Kale not only because of its nutritional value but also because Kale maintains its firmness, even after being dressed. And, for those who avoid pasta, this Asian pasta salad recipe contains very little pasta, so relax if you are worried about carbs. An Asian pasta salad like this holds onto flavor from all the different ingredients and the delicious teriyaki dressing.
Although the main elements of the salad are vegetable-based, the mandarin organs bring this dish together. Visually it looks beautiful!
What ingredients are in Asian Pasta Salad?
- Bowtie Pasta (I used whole-grain)
- Red Kale (or Kale of choice)
- White Cabbage
- Purple Cabbage
- Mame (shelled Edamame)
- Red Bell Peppers
- Green Onions
- Mandarin Oranges
- Sesame seeds
With 10 minutes of prep time while the pasta cooks, you will have dinner in under 20 minutes and lunch the next day. Generally, I eat this salad today and save the rest of the Asian salad for tomorrow. But, don't worry, this salad lasts, dressed in the Teryaki dressing, for up to three days.
How to make Asian bowtie pasta salad
Once the noodles are cooked, drain the noodles and rinse in cold water until the noodles are cooled or at room temperature.
- Chop the Kale into bite-sized pieces and fill the base of the bowl.
- Add the drained, cooled pasta, and the other chopped vegetables
- Crumble the seaweed
- Then add the teriyaki salad dressing
- Garnish with mandarin oranges and sesame seeds
How do I make my teriyaki salad dressing?
Without a doubt, I prefer making my dressings, but sometimes, I take shortcuts. So, there are two versions of this dressing, which both taste fantastic. One version, however, is much easier than the other two make and requires two ingredients.
Homemade Teryaki Salad dressing
- Vegan Cashew Mayo or vegan mayo of choice (substitute white beans or silken tofu for cashews for a nut-free option)
- Rice Vinegar
- Maple Syrup or Date Syrup
- Soy Sauce (or Tamari for a gluten-free option)
- Dijon Mustard
- Black Pepper
Short-Cut Teriyaki Dressing
- Raw Cashews
- Teriyaki Sauce
Again, dressing the Asian Bowtie salad in advance helps soften the Kale and absorb the flavors of the other ingredients and the dressing.
Honestly, the teriyaki salad dressing tastes fabulous; I plan to use it in other recipes. But, on the other hand, my husband said he wanted to drink it.
Cold Asian noodle salad variations
- Since it's hot outside, I chose to cold my Asian pasta salad recipe, but serving it warm is possible.
- Also, if you don't like Kale, any greens work well, but don't dress the salad immediately. Salads made primary with kale hold up for days when dressed ahead of time. Kale softens when dressed making it more easily digestible.
- Add grilled, air-fried, or baked tofu for added protein.
- Include peapods, red onions, yellow onions, bok choy, and any other vegetables
What kind of pasta do I put in Asian salad?
- Although any pasta shape works well for this recipe, I prefer whole-grain bow tie pasta for its sturdiness and pretty shape.
What is a good substitute for using maple syrup?
- Date syrup, Agave, or molasses
How long will cold Asian noodle salad last in the refrigerator?
- Cold Asian pasta salad will last dressed, in the refrigerator, for 3-5 days.
Don't forget the sesame seeds and mandarin oranges for the Best Asian Pasta Salad Recipe!
Do you love healthy vegan Asian recipes? Check these out!
- Dan dan noodles
- Spicy Asian Salad
- Tahini Noodle Bowl
- Asian Green Bean Recipe
- Cabbage Asian Salad
- General Tso Cauliflower
- Peanut Noodles
- Yaki Udon Noodles
- Garlic Noodles
- Yum Yum Noodles
- Vietnamese Noodles
Asian Pasta Salad Recipe
Asian Pasta Salad Recipe
- 4 cups chopped red kale stems removed
- 8 ounces bow ties pasta whole-grain or any pasta; cooked and cooled
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 carrots shaved
- 1 red pepper sliced thin
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- 1 cup mame shelled edamame cooked and cooled
- 1 sheet seaweed paper crushed
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame seeds
- 4 mandarin oranges peeled, sliced in half, and sectioned clementines also work
Teriyaki Dressing Option 1
- ½ cup cashew mayo to vegan mayo of choice or substitute white beans or silken tofu for cashews for a nut-free option
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or date syrup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Short cut Teriyaki Dressing Option 2
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup bottled teriyaki sauce of choice
- ½ cup water
- Cook the pasta and prepare the other salad ingredients
- Bring 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt and boil
- Add pasta and reduce heat to simmer
- Cook according to package instructions (11-13 minutes)
- Chop the vegetables and cut the oranges
- When pasta is cooked, immediately drain and run cold water over the pasta to stop cooking.
- Pasta should be cool when placed with other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, place the chopped kale at the base of a large bowl
- Now add the vegetables and cooled pasta and cooled mamme
Teriyaki Salad Dressing
- Choose Option 1 or 2
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth
- Pour over salad and toss until coated.
- Refrigerate for an hour or more before serving.
- Toss again before servings and add sesame seeds and mandarin orange segments.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂