Everyone loves fried rice, but if you could eat vegetable fried rice, without the fat and calories of typical fried rice, would you? My vegetable fried rice is oil-free and loaded with vegetables and brown rice.
Although I try to plan, sometimes life gets in the way. Everyone has those days when life creates obstacles, and dinner goes by the wayside. This was one such night.
Luckily, I make brown rice ahead of time, so I opted for oil-free fried rice. First, I used my wok to sauté the vegetables. Then the rice and sauce. In 10 minutes, I made a delicious, filling meal in one pan.
What ingredients are in vegetable fried rice?
I picked various favorites for this vegetable fried rice recipe to load up the veggies.
- Brussel Sprouts
- Red Bell Pepper
- Purple Cabbage
- Peas (fresh or frozen)
- Mame (shelled edamame)
- Brown Rice
Let's not forget the sauce. One important lesson I've learned about making fried rice is to leave the sauce out until the end and use it sparingly. There's nothing worse than soggy fried rice. Remember, you can always add more sauce later.
What rice is the next rice for fried rice?
When considering what rice to use for fried rice, I always pick brown rice. But, choose your favorite rice to be substituted in this recipe. Regardless of what rice you choose, always make sure it is cooked before adding it to the wok.
Vegetable Stir Fry Sauce
- Tamari, Liquid Aminos, or Soy Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Sriracha (more if you like it spicy; less or none if you do not prefer spice)
How to make vegetable fried rice simple for the little ones...
I decided to take it up a notch since fried rice is generally rice with onions, carrots, and peas. But, if you have little ones or picky eaters in your family, I separate some peas and carrots and make a more simplistic version.
Although the process and the sauce are the same, this simple fried rice takes 5 minutes without all the vegetable prep time.
Of course, chopping vegetables is half the battle when cooking. So, I always use my vegetable chopper for cooking jobs like this.
Sometimes, owning a vegetable chopper makes vegan cooking much more manageable!
Eating in a hurry doesn't include greasy take-out, delivery, or fast food. Instead, prepare a quality meal in little time without sacrificing a healthy lifestyle. So now you know how to make vegetable fried rice without oil.
If you love oil-free Asian meals, check out these oil-free tasty dishes.
- Asian Green Bean Recipe
- Vegan Stir Fry
- Grilled Asian Sesame Tofu with Vegetable Slaw
- Kale Asian Pasta Salad
- Vegetable Egg Rolls
- Eggplant with Miso
- Miso Tahini Dressing
- General Tso Cauliflower
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 1 White Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 8 ounces sliced Baby Bellas or Other Mushrooms of Choice
- 1 cup cauliflower florets cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup broccoli florets cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup Brussel Sprouts chopped
- 1 large Carrot chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 cup Purple Cabbage chopped
- 1 cup Peas fresh or frozen
- 1 cup Asparagus chopped
- 1 cup mame shelled edamame
- 2 cups cooked Brown Rice
- ¼ cup Tamari Liquid Aminos, or Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha more if you like it spicy; less or none if you do not prefer spice
Cooking the Rice:
Sautéing the Vegetables:
- Sauté garlic and onions until translucent.
- Add Mushrooms, and cook until browned.
- Then add the cauliflower, broccoli, and Brussel and cook for a few minutes.
- Now add the rest of the vegetables and toss with a wooden spoon every couple of minutes.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- Putting it all Together:Add brown rice.
- Stir together.
- Add sauce and toss until everything is hot.
- Serve in a bowl with chopsticks or a fork.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂