When I was little, my grandma made the best egg salad EVER! As a kid, I never liked eggs, but my grandma knew how to make egg salad to knock my socks off. Maybe it is the tangy, creamy, mustardy dressing that disguised the egg taste, but whatever she did, I love it! My husband, who I turned from carnivore to plant-based, loves egg salad! In fact, my husband thought I made real egg salad, so I fooled him. You're going to love this vegan egg salad recipe; wait!
WHAT IS THE SECRET TO THE BEST VEGAN EGG SALAD RECIPE?
Although some vegan egg salad recipes are made with raw tofu, I prefer to cook the tofu to make it the right texture. Also, I use extra-firm tofu, even though many recipes call for softer tofu.
My grandma's egg salad, for instance, was chunky with substance instead of mashed and mushy. So, to honor my grandma, cooked, firm tofu is the way I go.
However, the key to cooking the tofu is to press the tofu properly before you bake it. To press the tofu correctly, I use an inexpensive E-Z Tofu Press I've had for years. If you don't have a tofu press, use many paper towels and a heavy book. Regardless of your pressing method, you want the tofu as drained and dry as possible.
As a result, the dry tofu is ready for baking in the oven. First, I remove the tofu from the tofu press and cut it into bite-sized cubes.
WHAT OTHER INGREDIENTS ARE IN VEGAN EGG SALAD?
- Extra-firm tofu pressed and drained.
- Skinny Vegan Cashew Mayo
- Yellow Mustard
- Celery Salt
Even though vegan egg salad only has 6 simple ingredients, vegan egg salad is the perfect sandwich spread!
OIL-FREE BREAD SUGGESTIONS FOR VEGAN EGG SALAD RECIPE
Since many people on a plant-based diet follow a whole foods approach, here are some of my favorite oil-free bread brands:
- Turlock Pita Bread: Vegan Whole Wheat (Whole Foods)
- Trader Joe's Pita Bread (100% stone-ground whole wheat)
- Trader Joe's Whole Grain Crispbread (more like a cracker, but I love vegan egg salad on top)
- Engine Corn Tortillas (Whole Foods)
- Vermont Bread Company Organic Whole Wheat Variety (Whole Foods) (Most Vermont Bread Company brand bead does not contain oil, but a few do, so check the label)
- Food for Life Ezekiel (4:9 bread varieties, English muffins, and tortillas) (Found in most grocery chains in the refrigerator section).
- Alvarado Breads (make sure you check the label; most are oil-free, but some contain oil. Check the link for a variety of retailers.
- Mission corn tortillas( widely available at most grocery retail chains or online)
BAKING THE TOFU FOR VEGAN EGG SALAD RECIPE
Once the tofu is pressed and cut into cubes, it is time to bake the tofu with garlic and onion powder.
PLACE A SINGLE LAYER OF EXTRA-FIRM TOFU CUBES ON A BAKING SHEET OR CRISPER PAN AND SPRINKLE WITH GARLIC AND ONION POWDER.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place the tofu on the center rack of the oven.
- If using a crisper pan, the tofu cooks on the top and underneath; you don't need to flip the tofu over.
- If you don't have a crisper pan, after 10 minutes, flip the tofu over using a spatula.
- Cook for 20 minutes in total.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- In the meantime, prepare your dressing.
COOKED TOFU, FOR INSTANCE, IS FIRMER WITH A MORE STURDY TEXTURE WHEN BAKED FOR VEGAN EGG SALAD RECIPE
THE DRESSING FOR VEGAN EGG SALAD IS EASY AND ONLY HAS A FEW INGREDIENTS
When the tofu is cool and celery and onions are diced small, it is time to make the tangy vegan egg salad dressing.
First, I make my Skinny Vegan Cashew Mayo recipe and then add yellow mustard and celery salt. That's it! But if you don't want to make your own vegan mayo, choose your favorite vegan store-bought mayo as a shortcut.
- 1/2 cup Skinny Vegan Cashew Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
Although my grandma would probably not approve of my tofu and cashew mayo, if I tricked her, like she did when I was a kid, she wouldn't know this is vegan egg salad. In fact, she might be proud of my ability to replicate her recipe.
Hopefully, you will enjoy this vegan egg salad recipe as much as we do!
IF YOU ENJOY VEGAN EGG SALAD, I THINK YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE SANDWICH IDEAS:
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Jackfruit Tuna Salad
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Skinny Basil White Bean and Chickpea Dip and Sandwich Spread
- Vegan Curry Chickpea Sandwich Spread
- Vegan Muffuletta Sandwich
- Crunch Wrap Supreme Recipe
- Roasted Vegetable and Hummus Grilled Lavash Wrap
- BBQ Jackfruit Recipe
- Eggplant Panini Wrap
- Oil-Free Hummus and Tabbouleh Wrap
- Vegan BLT
- BBQ Tempeh
- Vegan Tempeh Reuben
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂