Who needs shredded BBQ pork when you can make a vegan pulled pork sweet potato sandwich? At my house, everyone loves BBQ anything; vegan that is. In fact, I enjoy creating my own varieties of BBQ sauces, but also vegetables to transform into BBQ dishes. Today, I decided to try a pulled pork sweet potato recipe, and although I was a little apprehensive about how the texture would work out, the results were amazing.
Since I like to meal prep in advance, I make pulled pork sweet potato recipe in advance, and the day I serve it, I simply heat it up to make sandwiches. But, pulled pork sweet potato sandwiches can be made in 20 minutes or less with very few ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE PULLED PORK SWEET POTATO SANDWICHES IN 20 MINUTES
Although I generally bake and roast sweet potatoes, I shredded raw sweet potatoes like I do baking potatoes for hash browns. Using my food processor shredding blade, I shredded the potatoes and left the skin on. However, before you shred the sweet potatoes, make sure you wash the potatoes and scrub off any excess dirt.
Similar to hash browns, I shred the sweet potatoes and cook them immediately. Otherwise, the sweet potatoes may turn brown.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR PULLED PORK SWEET POTATOES
- 3 large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 diced White Onion
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 3 teaspoons Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
QUICK AND EASY HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE OR CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE VEGAN BOTTLED BBQ SAUCE
- 1 15 ounce can Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Grape Jelly
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
STEP-BY-STEP COOKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR PULLED PORK SWEET POTATOES
Next, using my large non-stick skillet, without any oil, I cooked them just like hash browns. I browned them and made them extra crispy. Adding the homemade BBQ sauce immediately softens the potatoes, making them absorb the BBQ sauce.
- In a large non-stick skillet, on medium heat, saute garlic and onion until onions are translucent and brown.
- You may need to add a small amount of vegetable broth if the onions and garlic begin to stick to the pan.
- Add shredded sweet potatoes and spread evenly in the pan, and allow to cook for a few minutes before flipping over.
- Continue flattening the shredded potatoes in the skillet to allow you to cook completely before flipping over.
- I flipped the potatoes 4 times in 15 minutes until onions and potatoes are cooked through and browned.
- Add a small amount of vegetable broth if your potatoes stick, but not too much.
- Add 1 cup BBQ sauce of choice and stir
My husband actually said, “that looks like pulled pork.”
“Not in this house,” I laughed.
I topped the sandwiches with vegan pineapple coleslaw I had prepared earlier in the day, and dinner was served. Since, pineapple and BBQ just go together, but feel free to top your sandwich with whatever you enjoy!
IF YOU ARE A BBQ LOVER LIKE ME, TRY THESE EASY VEGAN BBQ RECIPES
- BBQ Tofu
- BBQ Cauliflower
- BBQ Tempeh
- BBQ Jackfruit Recipe
- Vegan Pineapple Coleslaw
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Macaroni Salad