Coney Island Chili Sauce in the vegan world is an anomaly. I have seen recipe after recipe, all which generally contain beans, which isn’t Coney Sauce; that’s chili. Although I love chili, when we are talking about real Coney Chili Sauce, it is in a league all its own. Other vegan versions are made with soy crumbles, or chopped up veggie burger, and it lacks the consistency of a real Coney Chili Sauce; the thick kind that has the consistency of a thick and gratifying sauce of your veggie dog, or your chili fries.
Recently, I read an article about the company Beyond Meat. This is not exactly a ‘fake meat’ like other soy based products. This product is made with pea protein, is soy free, NON GMO, gluten free, and has 50 percent less fat than meat (not like I or anyone looking at this post would even consider eating that). YUCK! So,I figured I would give it a try, and I picked up a bag in the freezer section of my local Whole Foods Market. Beyond Meat products are now sold at most grocery stores; I have even seen it at Target as well.
I love the pea covered bull (not cow) on the bag of Beyond Meat Crumbles, which is clever for us plant eaters. Anyway, I decided to make my own version of Coney Island Chili Sauce, and I must say, this product was AWESOME, as was my chili sauce if I don’t say so myself.
For chili fries, bake your potato wedges or slices without oil. For this particular recipe, I used potato coins, cooked in a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes on a silicone baking mat. No oil needed. Top with chili sauce, onions, and YUM!Print
Vegan Coney Chili Sauce….The Real Deal!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 11 ounce bag of Beyond Beef or 1 11 ounce bag of Bocca Crumbles (Bocca is a “no fat” option, but it is a soy product)
- 1 16 ounce can Muir Glen Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- Place the garlic and onion in a medium sized skillet, and cook on medium until translucent
- Add the Beyond Beef Crumbles and cook until brown
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook until combined
- Keep on low until ready to serve, or cook ahead of time and reheat when ready to eat.
We used this one batch of sauce for chili smart dogs and chili fries on another day. I wished I had doubled the batch! That’s how good it was.
For chili fries, bake your potatoes without oil. For this particular recipe, I used potato coins, cooked in 425 degree oven for 45 minutes on a silicone mat. No oil needed. Top with chili sauce, onions, and YUM!
Keywords: coney sauce, chili dogs, vegan chili dogs, vegan chili sauce