When the temperatures get warmer, I love to cook on the grill. And, grilled tofu is one of my favorites! In fact, my favorite way to prepare tofu for any recipe is to grill it. This grilled tofu recipe, however, is special because of the fresh juice marinade, and the mango salsa recipe I served on top.
First, and foremost, it is important to know how to prepare tofu in order to grill tofu perfectly.
When cooked the right way, tofu is a vegan delicacy! With the right marinade and cooking technique, you can turn tofu into any main or side dish. I, for example, think tofu is like a sponge. Not only does it absorb flavors, but it can also be cooked in a variety of ways. Grilled tofu, for instance, is one of my favorite tofu recipes!
HOW TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF TOFU TO BUY FOR GRILLED TOFU
Since then, of course, I have learned a thing or two. The type of tofu you buy, for instance, is extremely important. For instance, soft tofu is used for dressing, dips, and sauces.
Extra-firm tofu, the other hand, is made for entrees and can be baked, air-fried, grilled, or sauteed. As a general rule, I always buy the firmest tofu I can find.
Additionally, sprouted tofu is the firmest tofu, and it does not require pressing. To be honest, this one is my favorite, simply because I don’t have to press it. I just use a paper towel to dry it off, and it’s ready to go.
For years I avoided eating tofu. Every time I made tofu, I ended up moving it to the side of the plate, because it was either fried or mushy. Most restaurants fry it, which doesn’t interest me, and those who bake and grill it seemed to have the same issues I did; soft tasteless tofu.
Then, I figured it out with the help of my EZ Tofu Press. I bought it on Amazon, and in the beginning, I made the same mistakes. I didn’t follow the directions ( a problem I have haha); I was in a hurry as I usually am, and I got the same results….tasteless tofu I didn’t like.
I have many friends who share the same frustration, and although I have posted recipes with similar instructions, this post is literally all about the proper pressing and cooking, so you can enjoy tofu as much as I do.
HOW TO PRESS TOFU FOR GRILLED TOFU RECIPE
First, carefully remove the tofu from the package, discarding the fluid from the package.
Then, place the tofu in the middle of the press and turn both knobs equally about four turns. I usually place the tofu press in the sink on its side, but for this visual post, I placed it on a plate to drain.
- Turn the knobs every two minutes, equally until you have the end result (the last picture).
- Most people stop here…NOT YET. Keep turning until the knobs are screwed as far as they can to almost touch the end like this:
- Although I have never tried this, I decided this time, I would measure the amount of water I got from the bottom of the plate at the end.
- The amount was 3/4 cup fluid
- Now, remove the press from the plate, and I give it another press with some paper towel for excess fluid removal.
- Next, cut tofu into 4 identical slabs
THE SECRET TO PERFECT GRILLED TOFU IS THE MARINATE
Making a great marinade, for example, is the secret to fabulous grilled tofu. Fo this recipe, for instance, I chose to make a fresh citrus mojo marinade. Of course, if you can squeeze fresh juice, rather than using bottled juice, use fresh fruit.
Another suggestion is to allow the tofu to marinate over night to absorb all the flavors from the marinade.
CITRUS MOJO MARINADE
- Fresh squeezed orange juice, lime juice, and lemon juice
- Fresno chili pepper (or red pepper flakes)
Furthermore, I always rotate my tofu while it soaks in the marinade to make sure the tofu absorbs are the flavors.
Even though I prefer grilled tofu, not everyone has a grill or the climate to grill outdoors. For that reason, other cooking options are available, so you don’t miss out on this fabulous tofu recipe.
- Preheat the grill to low
- Place a grill mat on the grill (you can also use a grill pan, or if you are careful, you can place the tofu directly on the grill.
- Cook for about 8 minutes on each side
- Remove from the grill and place back in the marinade until ready to use.
- Then, cut it into strips or cubes
BAKING TOFU IS JUST AS EASY
- Simply follow the same pressing and marinating process.
- Then, preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place cut or uncut tofu on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Cook for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and flip tofu over; cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Simply follow the same pressing and marinating process.
- Set air fryer temperature at 375 degrees
- Cook 10-15 minutes, shaking the basket a couple of times through the cooking process.
Although I love grilled tofu on its own, I love adding a fresh mango salsa on top! The citrus garlic flavor of the mojo marinade, for instance, pairs perfectly with fresh mango salsa.
HOW TO MAKE MANGO SALSA FOR GRILLED TOFU RECIPE
Since I’m a huge salsa fan, I recently started making different Fruit Salsa Recipes to add summer freshness to my recipes. My Watermelon Salsa, for example brings out incredible flavors of grilled vegetables.
In order to enhance the citrus flavors in my grilled tofu recipe, I decided to make a mago salsa recipe with a lot of colors and a hint of spice. So, I gathered my favorite ingredients. As a result, the mango salsa was a huge success.
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow pepper
- Orange Pepper
- Lime Juice
Also, mango salsa is fabulous for a variety of other recipes as well. In fact, it would be perfect for my Cinnamon Tortilla Chips. After tasting the grilled tofu topped with mango salsa, I also think this mango salsa recipe would compliment these recipes:
- Tofu Tacos
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Roasted Vegetable Tacos
- Sweet Potato Cakes
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
- Southwest Tofu Scramble
- BBQ Tofu
In order to dice all the veggies in a uniform way, I use my favorite Vegetable Chopper.
If you are looking for fabulous summer fresh dinner, give grilled tofu a try. And, don’t forget the mango salsa recipe on top. I also served my grilled tofu with a side of grilled asparagus.