Cajun potato salad? Instead of plain, old potato salad, give cajun potato salad a try. When I think about the taste of cajun food, it makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Yes, I love spicy food, but cajun potato salad is in a league all its own. Cajun seasoning's bold, spicy flavor with its subtle earthiness adds a satisfying flavor to any food.
But pair cajun seasoning with creamy potato salad, and the results are astounding. So, let's make a tasty vegan cajun potato salad recipe to bring to your next potluck or barbeque.
The beauty of using any spice is adding the exact spice level to please the individual palate. For instance, I love it spicy, but this cajun potato salad recipe is mild in taste. If you want to spice it up, add more cajun spice. Remember, though, spice is easy to add, but it cannot be removed once added, so thread lightly.
What does cajun spice taste like?
Although many people make their own cajun spice blend, my favorite brand is Slap Ya Mama Cajun Natural Cajun Seasoning from Lousiana. Not too spicy and full of flavor, this cajun blend works with any dish. Use as a rub for grilling, smoking, or baking vegetables or tofu. Add cajun flavor to jambalaya, gumbo, Vegan Cajun Pasta, or Cajun Pasta Salad. Even add some spice to your Bloody Mary or beer if you dare!
What ingredients are in the cajun potato salad recipe?
Whenever I make cajun potato salad, I choose Yukon Gold potatoes for their thin, smooth, eye-free skin and yellow-tinged flesh and buttery taste.
Begin with Yukon gold potatoes, cut into equal bite-sized pieces. Not only does this ensure equal cooking, but it also allows for easy eating! Leave the skins on for optimum nutrition, or remove the skins.
Once cut into pieces, boil the potatoes for 20 minutes or until the potatoes pierce through easily with a fork. However, time may vary depending on the size of the pieces of potatoes; larger ones require longer cooking, and smaller pieces, less time.
To cool potatoes correctly, drain in a colander and immediately run cold water over the potatoes, making sure to reach all the potatoes in the colander.
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Green onions (scallions)
- Red bell pepper
When the potatoes are cool to the touch, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and add the assorted vegetables.
How to make the cajun potato salad dressing
To make the dressing, start with Vegan Cashew Mayo and add the following ingredients:
- Dijon mustard
- Yellow mustard
- Smoked paprika
- Cajun Seasoning
Next, mix it all and fold it gently into the potatoes and vegetables in the large bowl.
As a result, the potatoes remain intact, and the potato salad is ready for refrigeration.
As the cajun potato salad chills, the flavors enhance, so don't add any extra seasoning until after it chills for about an hour. Then, taste and adjust.
I served this potato salad recipe with a buffalo chickpea wrap, but this slightly spicy potato salad goes well with all your favorite dishes.
What meals go well with cajun potato salad?
- Beet Burger
- Tofu Burger
- Blackened Tofu
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Carrot Dogs Recipe
- Vegan Corn Dogs
- French Dip Sandwiches
- Italian Sandwiches
- Vegetable Sandwich
- Pulled Pork Sweet Potato Sandwich
- Chickpea Fritters
- Eggplant Panini Wrap
Cajun Potato Salad
- 1 ½ pounds of Yukon gold potatoes cut into equal bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch green onions scallions, sliced think
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno seeds and stem removed, diced
- ½ cup vegan cashew mayo or vegan mayo of choice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning add more only after chilling; then taste and adjust
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
Cajun Potato Salad
- Wash and cut Yukon Gold Potatoes into equal bite-sized pieces.
- Fill a large pot halfway full of cold water; this allows the potatoes to cook evenly—all 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Then add cut potatoes to the pot of cold water and salt.
- Bring water to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-high and boil for 20 minutes.
- Test potatoes by using a fork to pierce through the potato pieces. Cooking time may vary based on the sizes of the potato pieces.
- Transfer cooked potatoes to a colander in the skin, and immediately run cold water over potatoes, stopping the cooking process.
- Be sure to move the colander through the water, so all the potato pieces are cooled evenly.
- Now, transfer the cooled potatoes to a bowl.
- Add the diced and chopped vegetables.
- Then, make the dressing.
- Make 1 recipe of vegan cashew mayo or vegan mayo of choice.
- Take 1 cup vegan cashew mayo and place in a small bowl.
- Add the other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold into potatoes and vegetables.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour before serving.
- Taste and adjust cajun seasoning. If you like it hotter, add 1 teaspoon at a time, but be cautious. Everyone has a different spice meter.
- Serve as a side dish with your favorite foods.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂