When making tofu, the trick is in the preparation. Although many people don't like tofu, it is because they don't know how to prepare it correctly. Grilled Asian Sesame Tofu with Vegetable Slaw is one of my favorite recipes because it's easy and delicious. Furthermore, the grilled Asian tofu recipe, on its own, is to die for!
WHY HOMEMADE MARINADES ARE THE BEST!
First, you need to choose a marinade. Despite the many marinades at the store, the best marinades are those you make at home because you control the ingredients. To make Grilled Asian Sesame Tofu with Vegetable Slaw, I chose one of my favorite marinades from my Lucky Dragon Bowl, Almond Butter Dressing.
3 WAYS TO COOK TOFU FOR GRILLED ASIAN SESAME TOFU WITH VEGETABLE SLAW
As a matter of fact, The Perfect Pressed Tofu for Grilling, Baking, or Cooking in a Skillet is easy to make if prepped correctly. For instance, I use my favorite tofu press.
Next, the cooking method chosen for the tofu makes a difference in its overall taste and texture. For example, I have provided three different cooking options: grilled, baked, or air-fried.
Since I live in Arizona, I grill all year round. Even though I prefer to grill tofu, tofu also tastes amazing baked or air-fried.
ALMOND BUTTER MARINADE/DRESSING FOR GRILLED ASIAN SESAME TOFU WITH VEGETABLE SLAW
The almond butter dressing, for instance, not only serves as the slaw dressing but also the tofu marinade. As a result, the flavors in the dressing enhance both the slaw and the tofu.
Creamy, yet a little spicy and sweet, the dressing is easy to make and tastes sinfully guilty. So, enjoy your guilty pleasure, with no guilt at all.
THE MARINADE AND DRESSING ARE THE SAME!
- Almond butter
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Soy sauce or Tamari
- Minced fresh ginger
- White miso
- Garlic clove minced
- Sriracha or to taste (sriracha is spicy, so taste before you add the second teaspoon)
If almond butter dressing isn't your thing, try my Miso Tahini Dressing!
PLACE THE RAW INGREDIENTS IN A LARGE BOWL
- Shredded purple cabbage
- White cabbage or Napa cabbage, shredded
- Red bell pepper sliced thin
- Green onions, sliced thin (or ¼ cup)
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- 2 carrots shredded
- Mandarin oranges, peeled and separated into sections
- Thai basil leaves
DRIZZLE ADDITIONAL DRESSING ON WARMED GRILLED SESAME ASIAN TOFU WITH VEGETABLE SLAW
So, if you are looking for a quick and delicious meal in under 25 minutes, try Grilled Asian Sesame Tofu with Vegetable Slaw.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy Spicy Tofu Asian Salad with Skinny Peanut Dressing. As you can see, I love Asian food!
IF YOU LOVE TOFU AND COLESLAW, TRY THESE TASTY VEGAN ASIAN DISHES
- Skinny Veggie Miso Ramen Stir Fry
- Vietnamese Noodles
- Skinny Ramen Noodle Salad
- Vegan Stir Fry
- Tofu Satay
- Vegan Lettuce Wraps
- Vegan Thai Tahini Veggie Noodle Bowls
- Skinny Thai Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
- Bibimbap Vegan
Grilled Asian Sesame Tofu with Vegetable Slaw
TOFU The Perfect Pressed Tofu for Grilling, Baking, or Cooking in a Skillet
- 14 ounces extra-firm organic tofu
TOFU AND SALAD MARINADE(ALMOND BUTTER DRESSING)
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon miso
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1-2 teaspoons sriracha or to taste sriracha is spicy, so taste before you add the second teaspoon
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 3 cup white cabbage shredded
- 1 red pepper sliced thin
- 6 green onions sliced thin (or ¼ cup)
- 4 mandarin oranges peeled, and separated by sections
- ½ cup thai basil leaves
- ½ red onion sliced thin
- 2 carrots shredded
- Press tofu according to the link The Perfect Pressed Tofu for Grilling, Baking, or Cooking in a Skillet
ALMOND BUTTER MARINADE/DRESSING
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- QUICK TIP: Add the almond butter last to avoid it sticking int he bottom of the blender
- Keep a small amount of dressing to add to the salad before serving.
- Slice the block of tofu in half through the center
- Cut into 4 individual slabs about an inch in thickness.
- Place tofu pieces in an airtight container.
- Use only half marinade/dressing; plate in the refrigerator for at least an hour. I like to marinate overnight.
- Reserve the other half of the dressing for the slaw
CHOOSE YOUR COOKING METHOD: (PICK ONE BELOW)
- Pre-heat grill to 350 or medium-low
- You can place the marinated tofu directly on the grill, or I use a grill basket.
- Grill for 7 minutes on each side
- Let cool slightly
BAKED VERSION (If you don't have a grill)
- Follow the same directions for marinating.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook for 15 minutes; then flip over and cook another 15 minutes
- Dip the marinated tofu on each side with cornstarch
- Place large pieces into the basket, not touching each other.
- Cook on 370 for 10 minutes
- Open the basket and turn large tofu pieces over.
- Bake for 10 more minutes
- On a plate or bowl, place the dressed slaw on the bottom of a plate or bowl.
- Add sliced tofu
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Add peanuts
- Serve with extra Sriracha or Soy/Tamari.
- Shred and sliced vegetables
- Place in a bowl
- Using the other half of marinade/dressing, for over slaw, reserving a small amount to add to the salad right before serving.
- Toss until combined
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂