Whenever I create a new salad, I challenge myself to come up with a new recipe. Although most Italian salads are full of meat and cheese, I made a vegan antipasto salad recipe I love.
When I first went plant-based, almost 20 years ago, the only meal I could eat out was pasta marinara. Back then, vegan wasn't a thing and pasta with tomato sauce, although limited, was better than nothing.
Unfortunately, even eating plant-based in an Italian restaurant is difficult, even though I think it should be easy. Since we love Italian food, I make vegan versions at home. And vegan antipasto salad is one of my all-time favorites.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE TRADITIONALLY IN AN ANTIPASTO SALAD RECIPE?
For example, Antipasto is the traditional first course of a formal Italian meal. However, a conventional antipasto's typical ingredients include cured meats, olives, pepperoncini, mushrooms, anchovies, artichoke hearts, various cheeses, pickled meats, and vegetables in oil or vinegar.
There are several antipasto salad recipes, but I created an antipasto salad full of my favorite Italian ingredients. Even though I love my Italian Chopped Salad, vegan antipasto salad is heartier and contains more ingredients. Antipasto salad is so filling and delicious that I eat it as an entree salad.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED FOR VEGAN ANTIPASTO SALAD?
- Romaine lettuce
- Cannelli Beans
- Tri-colored baby potatoes
- Grape tomatoes
- Kalamata olives
- Red bell pepper
- Simple Rosemary Infused Pickled Red Onions, or raw red onion
HOW TO BOIL TRI-COLORED BABY POTATOES FOR VEGAN ANTIPASTO SALAD
The tri-colored baby potatoes, for instance, are the only cooked vegetable in the salad. To cook baby potatoes to include in a cold salad, it is essential to cook them all the way through. Then, place the baby potatoes in an ice bath to stop the cooking process immediately.
- Choose baby potatoes similar in size so they cook evenly.
- Place potatoes in a pan covered in cold water with a teaspoon of salt.
- Next, bring potatoes to a boil, and boil uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Pierce with a fork to make sure they are tender, as time may vary due to the size of the potatoes
- Immediately transfer potatoes to a colander to drain water, and then place potatoes in a bowl with cold water and ice to stop cooling.
- When potatoes are cold, remove them from the pan, dry them, and cut each potato in half.
WHAT IS IN THE OIL-FREE ANTIPASTO SALAD DRESSING?
Because I don't cook with oil, I enjoy making delicious, healthy dressing recipes. As a result, I indulge in dressings on my salads because I love dressing!
OIL-FREE ANTIPASTO SALAD DRESSING
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
What can you serve with your vegan antipasto salad?
You can serve vegan crackers and crusty vegan bread with your vegan antipasto salad.
What meat alternative can you use for vegan antipasto salad?
Use tofu as a meat alternative for your vegan antipasto salad. It has a great texture, making it an excellent addition to any vegan meal.
IF YOU LOVE HEARTY ENTREE SALADS, CHECK OUT THESE SALAD RECIPES
- Asparagus Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Spinach Pasta Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
- Lentil Salad
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Vietnamese Noodles
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing
- Skinny Greek Veggie Pasta Salad
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce torn or chopped
- 15 ounces cannelloni beans rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper sliced in thin strips
- 1 pint grape tomatoes cut in halves
- 18 ounces artichokes in water drained and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 zucchini cut into ¼ inch coins and cut in halves
- ½ cup pickled red onions or raw red onions]
- ¼ cup kalamata olives cut in halves
- 3 Tablespoons capers
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- 10-12 tri-colored baby potatoes boiled, then placed in a ice bath, and cut into halves
BOIL BABY POTATOES
- Place potatoes in a pot covered with cold water and add 1 teaspoon of salt
- Bring water to a boil; boil for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Remove potatoes from the stove, transfer them to a colander, and then into a bowl of cold water with ice to cool potatoes.
- When potatoes are cool, remove, dry, and cut into halves.
OIL-FREE ANTIPASTO DRESSING
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend and refrigerate until ready to dress the salad.
PREPARING VEGAN ANTIPASTO SALAD
- Place torn/cut lettuce into a large bowl.
- Add other ingredients
- Add dressing right before serving.
- Toss dressing with salad and serve in individual bowls.
- If you plan only to eat a portion of the salad, do not dress the entire salad. Instead, place undressed amounts of salad in the refrigerator and dress when eating.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂