By far, asparagus is one of my favorite veggies. So, today, I decided to make asparagus with parmesan. Of course, I'm using my Vegan Parmesan Cheese recipe, paired with a few other ingredients. Not only is baked parmesan asparagus a great side dish for any entree, but the combination of flavors is simply delicious!
The trick to cutting asparagus and storing it for optimal freshness
First, remove the inedible, woody ends of the asparagus by snapping or using a knife. Usually, the inedible ends are discolored or about an inch from the edible portion.
Although many people cut the ends and then use a vegetable peeler to peel away some base layers, I find cutting the ends sufficient. Let's not make it more difficult than it has to be.
Once cut, place the cut ends of the asparagus in about an inch or two of water. As a result, the asparagus stays firm and hydrated and lasts longer. Then, refrigerate until ready to use.
Asparagus is low in calories and healthy for the body
According to Healthline, asparagus is low in calories but boasts an impressive nutrient profile.
In fact, just half a cup (90 grams) of cooked asparagus contains (1):
- Calories: 20
- Protein: 2.2 grams
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Fiber: 1.8 grams
- Vitamin C: 12% of the RDI
- Vitamin A: 18% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 57% of the RDI
- Folate: 34% of the RDI
- Potassium: 6% of the RDI
- Phosphorous: 5% of the RDI
- Vitamin E: 7% of the RDI
Asparagus also possesses small amounts of other micronutrients, including iron, zinc, and riboflavin.
It’s an excellent vitamin K source, an essential nutrient involved in blood clotting and bone health (2Trusted Source).
What ingredients are in the vegan parmesan blend
Even though Vegan Parmesan Cheese isn't made with any dairy, it tastes savory, salty, and cheesy! In fact, I use Vegan Parmesan Cheese in a variety of recipes. Because it is used as a garnish or a sprinkle here and there, it has minimal Vegan Parmesan Cheese calories yet tons of cheesy flavor.
With that being said, one batch of Vegan Parmesan Cheese lasts weeks in the refrigerator. For baked parmesan tomatoes, all you need is ¼ cup of this magical vegan cheese.
If you don't want to make your own vegan parm, the grocery store sells many varieties, but it's always better to make it fresh, at home, for fewer preservatives and processed ingredients.
VEGAN PARMESAN CHEESE INGREDIENTS
- Raw cashews(DO NOT SOAK); you want them dry, not wet
- Nutritional yeast
- Garlic salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Baked Parmesan Asparagus is Easy To Make With Very Few Ingredients
- Lemon juice (fresh)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Bread crumbs (I used Dave's oil-free bread to make homemade ones) or bread crumbs of choice
- Fresh herbs (basil and parsley) or substitute Italian Seasoning
Cooking asparagus with parmesan in under 20 minutes
Once cut, place the asparagus in a small casserole dish, toss in fresh lemon juice and mix the parmesan topping.
Next, sprinkle the lemon-soaked asparagus with the parmesan bread crumb mixture. Then, pop them in the oven for 20 minutes, uncovered at 425 degrees, and enjoy savory baked parmesan asparagus.
As an appetizer, side dish, or main dish, these bite-sized treasures taste fabulous! The next time you have beautiful asparagus, make them into baked parmesan asparagus.
Other Recipe Ideas For Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Pasta with Carbonara
- Chickpea Pasta Salad
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- Garlic Croutons - Crispy and Oil-Free
- Vegan Garlic Bread
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- White Bean Dip
Asparagus with Parmesan
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 piece of Dave's Bread toasted and crumbled in a small food processor or chopped finely by hand
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Make 1 recipe vegan parmesan cheese; reserve ¼ cup for the recipe. Store the rest in a refrigerator safe container for up to 3 months.
- Cut the woody ends off the asparagus and place asparagus in a casserole dish.
- Now, squeeze lemon over the asparagus and toss to cover.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Preparing the parmesan bread crumb mixture
- Prepare the bread crumbs by toasting a piece of bread (I used Dave's oil-free bread) or ¼ cup bread crumbs of choice.
- Combine bread crumbs, vegan parmesan cheese, garlic, seasoning, and herbs.
- Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the mixture onto the asparagus spears, covering the surface of the asparagus.
- Bake for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve as a side dish, an appetizer, or as an entree,
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂