At the farmer's market this week, the blueberries called my name. So, I decided to make a blueberry salad recipe with a blueberry vinegarette. I love berries of all kinds, but blueberries, in season, explode in your mouth with fabulous jammy flavor. Since all salads are not created equal, this blueberry salad with blueberry dressing knocked my socks off.
When making a salad, the combination of ingredients and the dressing is the difference between a meh salad and a fabulous salad. And, I think presenting salad with a rainbow of colors in a beautiful way makes it more appealing. Instead of throwing the ingredients in a bowl, create a display! Even with vegetables and fruit, an attractive display entices children to eat salad.
Another benefit to this blueberry salad recipe is the nutrient-dense ingredients, making it a meal rather than merely a side dish.
What are the health benefits of eating blueberries?
Often labeled a superfood, blueberries are low in calories and incredibly good for you. According to Healthline, blueberries are among the most nutrient-dense berries. A 1-cup (148-gram) serving of blueberries contains (1):
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Vitamin C: 24% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 36% of the RDI
- Manganese: 25% of the RD
What is good in a blueberry salad?
Although any vegetables work mixed with a blueberry salad, I find a combination of sweet and savory ingredients create a texture and unique flavor. Combined with blueberry vinegarette, however, it enhances the flavors and makes this salad one of my favorites.
- Bib or Romaine Lettuce
- Beet greens or substitute collard greens
- English cucumber
- Baby bell peppers
- Red quinoa
- Pickled Red Onions
- Tofu Feta Cheese
Because I use quinoa in various recipes, I often make quinoa in advance and use it in multiple recipes throughout the week. Quinoa provides a great texture for this vegan blueberry salad recipe and absorbs the blueberry vinegarette.
As always, I'm all about the dressing. Not only is it making your own dressing healthier, but it also costs less and is guaranteed oil-free.
How to make the blueberry vinaigrette
- Fresh blueberries
- Champagne vinegar or substitute balsamic vinegar
- Maple syrup or date syrup
- Dijon mustard
When making the dressing in advance, be aware the dressing thickens in the refrigerator. Therefore, keep the dressing in the blender cup and give it another whirl right before serving.
Can I use frozen blueberries in the blueberry salad recipe?
- Unfortunately, frozen berries in a salad are often too wet when thawed and may make the greens and other ingredients soggy. So, I suggest using fresh berries when possible.
What are beet greens?
- Beet greens are the leafy tops of beets. Beet greens contain essential nutrients which support your body's immune system and help strengthen bones—an excellent source of potassium, beet greens, and magnesium to maintain normal nerve and muscle functions.
What is a substitution for beet greens?
- Collard greens are similar in taste, texture, and nutritional value to beet greens.
- The dressing thickens when refrigerated and may require another quick blast in the blender before serving, so leave the dressing in the blender cup in the refrigerator to save some dishes and time.
- Substitute raw red onion if preferred.
- If you can't find champagne vinegar, balsamic vinegar works for the blueberry dressing recipe.
- I chose baby bell peppers for variety and color; substitute red bell pepper if preferred.
- Do not dress the salad until ready to serve.
- The blueberry dressing will last 3-5 days refrigerated.
If you love healthy oil-free salads and dressings, check out these recipes
- Asparagus Salad
- How To Make Mango Kale Salad With Cilantro & Lime Dressing
- Broccoli Curry Crunch Salad
- Asian Crunch Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Fattoush Salad Recipe
- Quinoa Greek Salad
- Spicy Asian Salad With Homemade Dressing
- Mediterranean Salad with Chickpeas
- Quinoa and Kale Salad
- Citrus Salad Recipe
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂