Fall is in the air, and fall harvest salad with smokey maple dijon dressing tastes like Autumn in a bowl. Whenever I make a new entree salad, I combine sweet and savory for a delicious meal. My fall harvest salad recipe tastes incredible because of the combination of ingredients dressed in a fall harvest salad dressing. This maple dijon dressing recipe is a keeper.
A combination of raw and cooked fall vegetables provides sweetness, such as sweet potatoes and honey crisp apples. However, the arugula and red onion provide a contrasting element, creating a sweet and savory salad.
Even though parts of the salad are cooked, this salad is served cold. Or, serve the salad warm.
The crisp, fresh grape tomatoes and English cucumbers add color and vibrance to this fall salad.
I also chose to dress this fall harvest salad with a sweet and savory smokey, maple dijon dressing, topped with raw or roasted pecans.
How to make a fall harvest salad recipe
- Organic Arugula
- Romaine Lettuce
- Cooked quinoa
- Sweet Potato
- Honey crisp apples
- Lemon Juice
- Grape tomatoes
- English cucumber
- Roasted Pecans or Raw nuts of choice (optional)
Since the sweet potatoes and quinoa are cooked, allow them to cool completely before adding to the salad unless eating the salad warm. For example, preparing the quinoa and sweet potatoes a day saves a lot of time preparing the harvest salad.
How to make maple dijon dressing
- Raw cashews (or silken tofu for a nut-free option)
- Maple Syrup
- Dijon Mustard
- Liquid smoke (I used hickory flavor)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cut the apples and toss in lemon juice to prevent browning
- Cut the sweet potatoes into uniform cubes to cook evenly
- Soak cashews for the dressing unless using a quality high-speed blender.
- Another way to prepare cashews for blending in dressing is to boil for 10 minutes and then drain.
- Prepare maple dijon dressing recipe in advance to chill for serving on the salad.
- For spicy pecans, toss raw pecans in a small amount of aquafaba and sprinkle with cinnamon, cumin, and salt, and roast for 10 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
What is a good substitute for honey crisp apples?
- Abrosia, Jazz, and Pink Lady apples are all sweet apple substitutes for honey crisp apples.
What nuts can be used instead of cashews?
- Raw almonds and macadamia nuts replace cashews in most recipes. For a nut-free option, use the silken tofu alternative?
What is liquid smoke?
- Liquid smoke is a natural product made from condensing the smoke from burning wood, which is then condensed and bottled.
What can be substituted for liquid smoke?
- Smoked paprika or chipotle powder are alternatives to liquid smoke.
Looking for fabulous entree salads to bring more salad into your life?
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂