Although I tried and failed several times, I finally figured out the secret to a fabulous Mexican rice recipe. In my house, everyone loves Mexican food. Unfortunately, restaurant-style Mexican rice is full of oil and chicken broth. So, I decided to make a healthy Mexican rice recipe my family would love.
With a little help from few simple ingredients, brown rice can be transformed into a tasty Mexican rice recipe you will make time and time again.
There is, however, a secret, which I recently discovered after several failed attempts to make Mexican rice. Whenever I attempted making Mexican rice in the past, it always turned out mushy and lacked flavor.
Then, I discovered some simple tricks to make my rice exactly how I love it; sassy and firm.
What is Mexcian Rice?
Spanish rice, also known as Mexican rice, red rice, or Arroz Rojo, is a Mexican side made from white rice, garlic, onions, and tomatoes.
Although traditionally made with chicken broth, my Mexican rice recipe is made with healthy vegan ingredients.
What ingredients are in vegan Mexican rice?
- White onion
- Long-grain brown rice
- Tomato sauce
- Rotel Roasted tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Chili Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mexican Rice Recipe Secret Revealed
The key to this recipe is to sauté the rice in a pan until toasted and golden brown. Since I don't cook with oil, I use a non-stick pan and cook the garlic, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro first. The sweat from the vegetables and a little vegetable broth makes the perfect oil substitute.
This helps the grains keep some of their texture after they are cooked.
Next, the rice simmers in a puree of tomatoes, onions, and vegetable broth absorbs all flavors.
Adding additional cilantro after cooking, as well as a few fresh limes and a light fluff with a fork, guarantees the best rice ever, every single time.
Once the ingredients are added, the rice simmers in the mixture are covered for 35 minutes.
As I said before, a little squeeze of lime and some extra cilantro brings it all together!
This Mexican rice recipe can be served with any of your favorite Mexican foods as a side dish.
For instance, I served this delicious rice on the side of my chimichanga recipe.
Do you love healthy Mexican food? Try these wonderful Mexican recipes.
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Vegan Tacos
- Healthy Burrito Bowl
- The Best Ultimate Vegan Lentil Black Bean Burrito Ever
- Cauliflower Tacos
- Potato Tacos
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Mexican Street Corn - Vegan!
- 1 small white or yellow onion diced
- 1 Jalapeno seeded and diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Long-grain brown rice
- 8 ounces Tomato sauce
- 10 ounces Rotel diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 Avocado chopped
- In a deep skillet with sides, saute the onion, garlic, and jalapeno until the onions are translucent.
- Add a small amount of vegetable broth or after to prevent sticking.
- Now, add cilantro and seasonings; stir into the onion mixture.
- Then, add dry uncooked rice and stir into the onion mixture.
- Continue to stir the dry rice until it begins to brown, making sure to allow a few minutes between stirring.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.
- Stir and bring the mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave the top on the pot for 10 minutes.
- Then, fluff the rice with a fork.
What Is Mexcian Rice?Spanish rice, also known as Mexican rice, red rice, or Arroz Rojo, is a Mexican side made from white rice, garlic, onions, and tomatoes. Although traditionally made with chicken broth, my Mexican rice recipe is made with healthy vegan ingredients.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂