When I stopped by the market today, I found the most beautiful lemons. And if I have lemons, I must make lemony orzo salad. I thought about making lemonade, but nothing is better than fresh juicy lemons for a fresh summer salad. As a side salad or an entree salad with Tofu Feta Cheese, the lemony orzo salad recipe tastes like summer in a bowl.
Since orzo pasta is so light and fluffy, the lemony dressing soaks into the pasta and bathes the vegetables. Not only is lemony orzo salad easy to make, but it can also be dressed and made ahead of time.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN LEMONY ORZO SALAD RECIPE?
Although the salad's main highlights are the orzo and the lemony dressing, the vegetables complement each other. Even though you can choose any of your favorite vegetables, I selected a few of my favorite ingredients.
Another must is the combination of fresh herbs to enhance the flavors of the vegetables and lemony dressing.
- Orzo pasta (If you are looking for a gluten-free option, try gluten-free orzo)
- Red onion
- Grape tomatoes
Since orzo pasta cooks so quickly, a lemony orzo salad recipe can be made under 15 minutes. Of course, if you plan to make Tofu Feta Cheese add to an entree salad, make the tofu feta ahead of time.
OIL-FREE LEMONY DRESSING FOR LEMONY ORZO SALAD
Because the lemony dressing highlights the orzo salad, I used a light champagne vinegar to bring out the lemony flavor.
Like other wine vinegar, champagne vinegar is made from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes. Once combined with the other dressing ingredients, the grapes' acid creates a delicious oil-free dressing for any salad.
LEMONY DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- Champagne Vinegar
Once the orzo salad ingredients are combined, toss with the dressing ahead of time, and allow the salad to cool in the refrigerator until ready to serve. In fact, the longer the lemony orzo salad sits in the refrigerator, the better.
Then, I garnished with beautiful slices of lemon to add a more lemony flavor.
DO YOU LOVE FRESH SALAD RECIPE? WE HAVE YOU COVERED!
- Summer Salads
- Pesto Potato Salad
- Peanut Noodle Salad
- Good Earth Kale Salad
- Mexican Chopped Salad
- Asian Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Blackberry Salad
- Greek Orzo Salad
Lemony Orzo Salad
- 12 ounces uncooked orzo pasta
- 15 ounces chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ½ English cucumber diced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in halves
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh mint chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large lemon zested and juiced
- 5 Tablespoons Tahini
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar
- ½ cup water
Tofu Feta Cheese (Optional)
- 1 recipe Tofu Feta Cheese
- Fresh lemon slices
COOKING THE ORZO
- Bring 6 cups of water and 3 Tablespoons salt (yes, 3 Tablespoons; don't worry, you rinse it off) to a boil.
- Add 12 ounces of orzo pasta and stir.
- Once boiling again, reduce heat to low and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Then, transfer the pasta to a colander and rinse with cold water, moving the pasta around to ensure all the pasta is cooled to room temperature.
- Shake any excess water out and place cooled pasta into a large bowl.
- While the pasta cooks, chop the vegetables and blend the dressing.
- Place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Tip: Add the tahini last, so it doesn't stick in the bottom of the blender cup.
- Blend until smooth
TOFU FETA (OPTIONAL)
- Follow the directions for making tofu feta cheese.
- Crumble and allow to cool before adding to the lemony orzo salad
ASSEMBLING THE ORZO SALAD
- Add the chickpeas, chopped vegetables, and herbs to the orzo pasta.
- Pour the dressing over the contents of the bowl.
- Stir and cover
- Place the in the refrigerator until ready to serve
- Add crumbled tofu (optional)
- Serve with a lemon slice as garnish
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂