When I was little, my mom made the BEST meatloaf in the world. Although this was before we all became plant-based, I remember her making me meatloaf sandwiches for my school lunch.
Of course, this was long, long ago. And, although I have tried many times to make a lentil loaf that could even come close, I failed time and time again. Then, I did it! I actually did it.
To be honest, my multiple failures always produced a loaf that was either too dry, or too wet and crumbled at the touch. I also had issues with it sticking to the pan, as well as just tasting land.
Now, I think I came up with the Ultimate Lentil and Vegetable “Meatless” Loaf. What was the secret? The combination of flaxseed meal, bread crumbs, and quick oats. As simple as that sounds, it has been a struggle for me.
Other than that, I think it is the correct combination of wet and dry ingredients that makes it moist, and “meaty,” as well as flavorful.
So, if you are a meatloaf sandwich fan from the past, or you love it hot with a side of mashed potatoes, and salad; choose your passion. I’m having it both ways; for dinner and for leftover lunch.Print
Full of veggies, lentils and flavor, the lentil loaf is worth the ingredients. Make it the day before and enjoy it for dinner and lunch for the week.
- 2 cups prepared brown lentils
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion, diced (1/2 onion)
- 1 large carrot, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced (half a red pepper)
- 1 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cloves, garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon bbq sauce of choice
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I used Dave’s Bread and made my own), but prepared bread crumbs is fine
- Extra bbq sauce for the top after cooking
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Chop onion, celery, mushrooms, red pepper, and carrot (diced). I used the small blade on my favorite Vegetable Chopper
- In a large skillet, cook onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots and celery and salt and pepper until browned. (You may use a little vegetable broth to avoid sticking )
- In a food processor, pulse prepared lentils, quick oats, flax seed, bread crumbs, cooked vegetables, tomato paste, bbq sauce and parsley.
- The finished product should be chunky; do not over pulse.
- I used a silicone loaf pan or place parchment paper in the base of a glass loaf pan. If you don’t have a loaf pan, you may form the dough into a loaf shape on a cookie sheet.
- Place dough into the loaf pan, and gently press the top to form a bread shape on top
- Cover with aluminum foil
- Bake for 35 minutes covered.
- Uncover after 35 minutes, and drizzle additional bbq sauce on top.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven; recover and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- I find it easier to remove it from the pan prior to cutting.
Keywords: lentil vegetable loaf, vegan meatloaf, meatless loaf, lentils