When Taco Tuesday rolls around, I challenge myself to make a different taco recipe every week. Although this vegan lentil taco recipe is an oldie, I revised it to make it even better. In fact, my new vegan lentil tacos are not only full of fabulous lentil taco meat, but I added sauteed vegetables, sunflower sprouts, and my Skinny Blackberry Dijon Sauce.
Unfortunately, Mexican food is often not very vegan-friendly. Instead, my vegan oil-free lentil tacos, home-made are fresh and sassy, and unbelievably springy.
We love flour and corn tortillas, and everything about tacos, especially the variety of vegetables you can fill in your shell. For this recipe, I opted for white corn tortillas. Lower in fat, and thicker in texture, these shells hold all the ingredients I pack into these tacos.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN LENTIL TACOS
Vegan lentil taco meat, for instance, is easy to prepare and reheats well. It can also be frozen if you choose to make a batch in advance.
We eat tacos so often, in a variety of ways, I decided to buy a taco gadget called a Stainless Steel Taco Holder. It holds the tacos upright, so they don’t fall apart and display the tacos well.
Can you tell I love kitchen gadgets? We used taco holders last night for ‘Taco Tuesday,’ and they worked great. It actually holds the shells in place to add everything at once, without anything falling out. I actually picked up my taco, with all the ‘fixins,’ and everything stayed intact. This little gadget is a modern taco miracle.
VEGAN LENTIL TACO ‘MEAT’
- 1 1/2 cups Brown, Red, or Green Lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 large, diced White Onion
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 1 Jalapeño de-seeded
- 2 cans Rotel Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 4 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- 2 packages El Paso Taco Seasoning or use your own brew
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN LENTIL TACOS
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2 red onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 carrot, sliced in thin coins
- 1 package Corn or Flour Tortillas
- 20 Grape Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 3 Jalapeños, de-seeded and sliced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 Avocado, sliced
- Skinny Blackberry Dijon Sauce
DO YOU LOVE HEALTHY VEGAN TACOS LIKE VEGAN LENTIL TACOS?
- Tempeh Tacos
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Mushroom Chorizo Tacos
- Taco Tuesday Skinny Potato Tacos
- Skinny Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado-Cilantro Cream
- Roasted Vegetable Tacos
- Roasted Broccolini and Sweet Potato Tostados