Without a doubt, butternut squash is one of my favorite fall vegetables! When the weather starts to get chilly, I love to make savory comfort foods. Butternut squash lasagna is a flavorful and delicious alternative to traditional lasagna. Instead of a tomato sauce, my butternut squash lasagna recipe combines layers of roasted butternut squash puree, cashew cheese sauce, and a variety of vegetables.
Not only is butternut squash lasagna a great make-ahead weeknight meal, but it's perfect for the holidays. Sweet, moist, and nutty-tasting, the flavor of butternut squash is similar to sweet potatoes.
Also, you get more servings per fruit than you might with other squash varieties because it's so dense. And, since butternut squash is in season, it is also economical this time of year.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH?
According to Healthline, one cup (205 grams) of cooked butternut squash provides:
- Calories: 82
- Carbs: 22 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Vitamin A: 457% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Vitamin C: 52% of the RDI
- Vitamin E: 13% of the RDI
- Thiamine (B1): 10% of the RDI
- Niacin (B3): 10% of the RDI
- Pyridoxine (B6): 13% of the RDI
- Folate (B9): 10% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 15% of the RDI
- Potassium: 17% of the RDI
- Manganese: 18% of the RDI
As you can see, butternut squash is low in calories but loaded with essential nutrients.
Aside from the vitamins and minerals listed above, it's also a good source of calcium, iron, phosphorus, and copper.
Although I love a tomato-based Vegan Lasagna, butternut squash lasagna has a sweet and savory flavor, enhanced by the other layers in the recipe.
CUTTING A BUTTERNUT SQUASH FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH LASAGNE RECIPE
Similar to other winter squash, butternut squash has a rugged, tough exterior. In my opinion, the easiest way to cut it is to slice it into equal slices and then cut around each piece removing the hard skin.
Then, cut the squash into similar-sized pieces so all the pieces roast equally, and then I roast the butternut squash with the shallots and garlic.
Once roasted and cooled, blend the roasted butternut squash, shallots, garlic, salt, nutmeg, and milk.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN BUTTERNUT SQUASH PUREE?
- Butternut Squash
- Oat Milk (or plant milk of choice)
THE MUSHROOM/SPINACH LAYER FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH LASAGNA
In a separate skillet, saute onions, mushrooms, fresh sage, and Italian seasoning.
CHEESY CASHEW BASIL CHEESE LAYER FOR THE LASAGNA RECIPE
While the butternut squash roasts in the oven, the cashew basil cheese sauce is made in a high-speed blender.
CASHEW BASIL CHEESE INGREDIENTS?
- Raw Cashews
- Vegetable Broth
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Nutritional Yeast
- Basil (fresh is best)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
HOW TO LAYER THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH LASAGNA
Begin with a 9 X 13 pan, and spread a thin layer of butternut squash puree. Also, pour ¼ cup of vegetable broth on the top of the butternut squash puree to prevent it from sticking.
For the next step, place cooked lasagna noodles slightly crossing over each other on top of the butternut squash puree and vegetable broth in the bottom of the pan.
Now, add a thin layer of cashew basil cheese, spreading with a spatula, covering the noodles, followed by a layer of spinach and mushroom mixture. And then top with butternut squash puree.
Continue the process by adding more noodles, followed by cashew basil cheese, mushroom/spinach mixture, and butternut squash puree until all the ingredients are gone. Then, sprinkle with Vegan Parmesan Cheese, fresh sage, and basil.
COOKING, FREEZING, AND REHEATING BUTTERNUT SQUASH LASAGNA
First, cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and cook for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
Next, remove the cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes until browned.
I also suggest recovering the lasagna once it's removed from the oven and allowing it to set up for about 10 minutes before servings. The paprika, although optional, adds beautiful color and a smoky flavor.
IF YOU LOVE OIL-FREE DELICIOUS PASTA DISHES, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Vegan Lasagna
- Mexican Lasagna
- Lemon Pasta
- Bruschetta Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Enchilada Pasta
- Pesto Pasta with Mushrooms
- One-Pot Tomato Basil Pasta
- Vegetarian Bolognese
- Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
- Healthy Mac and Cheese
- Southwestern Bake
Butternut Squash Lasagna
Roasted Butternut Squash Puree
- 1 package whole grain vegan lasagna noodles
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 shallots peeled and cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oat milk or plant-milk of choice
Cashew Basil Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked if you don't have a high-speed blender
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 1 large white onion diced
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- 16 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- 4 sage leaves chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PUREE
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Peel and cut butternut squash into similar-sized pieces and place on the pan
- Peel shallots and cut in half and place on the pan
- Peel garlic and place whole cloves of garlic on the pan
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and salt
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Place all the ingredients plus the oat milk in a high-speed blender
- Blend until smooth
MUSHROOM SPINACH MIXTURE
- Sautee diced onions in a skillet until onions are translucent
- Add mushrooms and cook until brown
- Add raw spinach and add ½ cup vegetable broth; put a top on the skillet to wilt the spinach.
- Once the spinach is wilted, remove it from the heat.
- Set aside.
CASHEW BASIL CHEESE
- Soak cashews in water overnight if you don't have a high-speed blender.
- Drain cashews.
- Add the ingredients to a high-speed blender; blend on high until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse noodles in cold water; drain.
- In a 9 X 13 inch pan, pour a small amount of butternut squash puree, and spread it in the bottom of the pan, and pour ¼ cup vegetable broth over the butternut squash.
- Lay noodles across the bottom of the pan, slightly crossing the noodles.
- Now, spread a small amount of cashew basil cheese on the noodles, spreading it across the noodles with a spatula.
- Then add a third of the mushroom/spinach mixture and spread it across the cashew cheese.
- Add ⅓ of the butternut squash puree, drizzling across the mushroom spinach mixture.
- Next, add another layer of noodles, cashews, basil cheese, mushroom/spinach mixture, and butternut squash puree.
- Then, repeat; noodles, cashew basil cheese, mushroom/spinach mixture, squash puree, vegan parmesan cheese, chopped sage, and basil.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover lasagna and cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and replace the cover. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut and serve with additional chopped basil and sage. Sprinkle with paprika and vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂