Yesterday, I was craving a creamy soup, but the kitchen cupboard was bare. Due to the pandemic, I find myself going to the grocery store less and buying only what is available. This week, for instance, my store had a lot of cauliflower and potatoes, and onions. So, when faced with a kitchen challenge, I decided to make a creamy cauliflower potato soup recipe.
To my surprise, with only a few ingredients, I made a giant pot of cauliflower potato soup that lasted all week long. Sometimes, we just have to cook with the ingredients in the refrigerator.
Recently, cauliflower, praised as the new kale, is taking the top shelf in nutrition as well as popularity. For instance, I use cauliflower often, in many recipes, because of its versatility. In fact, cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables, because it absorbs flavors like a sponge.
Needless to say, cauliflower and potatoes are both very inexpensive, so let's make cauliflower potato soup.
HOW DO I MAKE A CREAMY SOUP FROM A CAULIFLOWER POTATO BASE?
Potatoes, for example, provide a creamy base for any soup, when blended with other ingredients. Instead of using cashews, or flour to thicken a soup, potatoes are starchy and the perfect thickening agent.
For that reason, I chose to blend half of the cauliflower potato soup recipe in order to get a thick, yet chunky soup.
Since I wanted a creamy and chunky soup, it is important to cut the potatoes in a uniform size, because they need to cook evenly. In order to cut my potatoes uniform, I used my favorite vegetable chopper, on the large cut setting. And, I cut my onions with the same chopper on the small diced setting.
WHAT ARE THE SIMPLE INGREDIENTS FOR CAULIFLOWER POTATO SOUP RECIPE?
- 1 head cauliflower, stem removed, cut into equal-sized florets
- 4 baking potatoes (skin on) diced in uniform size
- 1 white onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16 ounce bag of frozen carrot and pea mix
- 6 cups organic vegetable broth
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Herbes De Provence
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Although I prefer to use all fresh vegetables, the grocery store was out of fresh carrots and other produce on my list. When in doubt, buy frozen.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CAULIFLOWER POTATO SOUP WITH VERY FEW INGREDIENTS
In my opinion, the flavor is all about the herbs and spices and the combination of ingredients you choose. For that reason, I used a combination of fresh rosemary, Herbes De Provence, which is basically infused sea salt. Of course, the pepper brings it all together. In order to get the best flavor from fresh vegetables and spices, it is all about how you cook your soup. For that reason, I cook it in stages or layers.
First, I saute the onions and garlic together until fragrant, and the onions are translucent. Then, I add the potatoes, cauliflower, herbs, and spices, and cover with the vegetable broth. Next, I bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low and cook the soup for 20 minutes, covered.
Once simmered, I remove half the soup (carefully, so as not to burn yourself), and blend half the soup in a high-speed blender. Then, I add the blended portion back into the soup pot. Next, I add the frozen bag of vegetables, bring the soup to a boil again, and continue boiling for the amount of time designated on the bag of frozen vegetables.
And, that's it. Clearly, this is one of the easiest soups I have made in a long time. In fact, simple is more delicious than I thought possible.
And if you meal prep, this soup stores well in the refrigerator and can be frozen to eat later. In order to freeze the cauliflower potato soup, I suggest leaving a 1-inch space between the top of the container and the amount of soup in the container. Also, when you are reheating, allow the cauliflower potato soup to thaw completely before reheating.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR INEXPENSIVE, DELICIOUS CAULIFLOWER RECIPES?
- BBQ Cauliflower
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Cauliflower Steaks
- Curried Cauliflower
- General Tso Cauliflower
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado-Cilantro Cream
- Cauliflower Nachos
- Buffalo Cauliflower Salad with Cashew Ranch Dressing
- Spicy Korean Baked Cauliflower
- Skinny Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Skinny Cauliflower Fried Rice with Tofu
- Tahini Roasted Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Bisque Soup with Paprika and Chives
- Vegan Thai Curried Cauliflower Lentil Soup
- Vegetable Strudel
Evidently, I love cauliflower, and I hope you do too!
Cauliflower Potato Soup
- 1 white onions diced small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 4 baking potatoes skins on; diced in equal bite-sized pieces
- 16 ounces frozen julienned carrots and peas
- 6 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons Herbes De Provence seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary chopped
- Saute garlic and onions until fragrant and onions are translucent.
- Add diced potatoes and cut cauliflower into the pot with the onions and garlic.
- Add rosemary and other spices, as well as nutritional yeast
- Cover with 6 cups of organic vegetable broth
- Bring to a boil
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend half of the soup in a high-speed blender, in small batches, so not to burn yourself.
- Return blended soup into the pot with the other half of unblended soup.
- Add the bag of frozen carrots and peas.
- Bring to a boil again, and cook for the time designated on the bag of frozen vegetables.
- Stir; remove from heat
- Ladle into bowls.
- Serve with crackers or crusty bread for dipping into the soup.
- Adjust seasoning per individual taste preferences.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂