I love coleslaw, so when I saw apples on sale today, I decided to make coleslaw with apples to go with my BBQ Jackfruit Recipe for dinner tonight. As often as I can, I try to incorporate a salad with meals to make sure we get our raw veggies. Coleslaw with apples is perfect on top of a sandwich, as a side salad, or an entree salad as well.
Whenever I shop, I not only look for produce in season, I also search for the best deals. Today, for instance, Organic Honey Crisp apples were $1.50 a pound, which is a deal!
Since apples are on the list of the dirty dozen, I always buy organic apples.
According to EWG's 2020 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce™, always purchase organic produce in these categories:
- Hot Peppers (+number 13 is new)
Additionally, a small amount of sweet corn, papaya, and summer squash sold in the United States is produced from genetically modified seeds. Buy organic varieties of these crops if you want to avoid genetically modified produce.
What ingredients are in coleslaw with apples?
- Napa cabbage or white cabbage
- Purple cabbage
- Honeycrisp (or any sweet apples) + lemon juice
- Green onions
To keep the apples bright and fresh, once cut, toss the apples in lemon juice and leave for a few minutes. In the meantime, make the dressing.
- Raw cashew
- Maple Syrup
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Liquid smoke (I used hickory flavor)
An alternative to using cashews, if allergic, is to replace drained, white beans. Even though the texture is a little different, the taste is the same.
The apples' sweet taste with the hint of maple and dijon gives this coleslaw with apple salad a savory flavor.
Enjoy this recipe as a side dish, a sandwich topping, or an entree salad for lunch. It keeps well overnight, so don't be afraid to dress the whole salad and reserve some for lunch tomorrow.
If you love coleslaw as much as I do, check out these yummy coleslaw recipes:
- Spicy Coleslaw
- BBQ Coleslaw Recipe
- Southwest Coleslaw
- Mexican Coleslaw Recipe
- Asian Coleslaw
- Vegan Coleslaw
- Pineapple Coleslaw
Coleslaw with Apples
- 2 cups napa cabbage chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage chopped
- 2 Honey Crisp Apples soaked in 2 Tablespoons lemon juice to prevent browning
- 4 cups kale shredded
- 1 bunch green onions sliced thin
- ½ cup raw cashew soaked overnight and drained
- ¼ cup pure Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ cup water
- Cut and combine all ingredients in a large bowl, except the apples.
- Cut the apples into bite-sized pieces and toss in lemon juice; allow to sit for a few minutes for the apples to absorb the lemon juice.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender
- Blend until smooth
- Pour dressing over salad and toss
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂