I love Dan Dan noodles, but the traditional noodle dish is anything but vegan or healthy. So, my Dan dan noodle recipe is nothing like the classic dish. Originated from Chinese Sichuan cuisine, Dan dan noodles consist of a spicy sauce usually containing preserved vegetables, chili oil, Sichuan pepper, minced pork, and scallions.
Vegan Dan Dan noodles taste fabulous without any oil or animal products.
Although I've never eaten the traditional Dan dan noodles, I love spicy noodles. Even if ordered vegan, without pork, this classic Chinese dish is very oily, which isn't my thing.
I first ate this spicy noodle dish with my daughter, who loves food on FIRE! Unfortunately, I took her advice and ordered "Chef Hot." I drank a lot of water and regretted my decision.
Despite the easy cooking instructions and very little cook time, the spicy sauce takes more time to prepare than the dish itself.
Since I like spicy food, and noodles are my favorite, this dish is one of my favorite quick go-to meals. If you are sensitive to spicy foods, always start with a bit of spice. Then, add more spice to meet your individual preference. As a result, spice can't be removed once it's added.
The ingredients in vegan Dan dan noodles
- Green onions (scallions)
- Bok choy
- Red cabbage
- Rice noodles (or wheat noodles)
- Chili Roasted peanuts (optional)
Traditional Dan dan noodles contain ground pork. Instead, I opted for mushrooms, but tofu is a great alternative. Cabbage isn't traditionally in this noodle recipe, but I love the color and the crunch, so I added it to my recipe.
As said earlier, the sauce is what brings this dish together. The recipe, as is, is approximately a 2 on a scale from 1-5, 5 being the hottest.
Spicy Sauce Ingredients:
- Hot Chili Sauce
- Soy Sauce or Tamari
- Peanut Butter (or PB Fit + water)
- Rice Vinegar
- Maple syrup
Cooking Dan dan noodles quick and easy
Step 1: Cooking the noodles
Instead of cooking rice noodles, soak the dried rice noodles in cool or lukewarm water for 30 minutes or until they're limp but still firm to the touch.
Then, drain the noodles thoroughly in a colander and set them aside while preparing the other ingredients.
Later, cooking the noodles in a wok with the other ingredients only takes minutes.
Note: Because noodle brands differ, be sure you are using thick noodles as thin noodles may become limp soaked. Instead, if using thin noodles, follow the package instructions.
Step 2: Sauteing the garlic, onions, and mushrooms
In a dry wok, add the minced garlic, mushrooms, and onions until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are brown.
Step 3: Add the bok choy and cabbage
Add the soaked noodles as soon as the cabbage and bok choy wilt.
Step 4: Add the noodles and stir until heated through
Once heated through, add the sauce and toss.
How to make the optional spicy chili peanuts
Another great addition to that dish is spicy chili peanuts. Not only does it add a little extra heat, but a nice peanutty crunch.
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Dried red pepper flakes
Toss the peanuts in aquafaba (the liquid inside a can of chickpeas). Next, combine the spices toss them with the wet peanuts, and roast them on a baking sheet in an oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
The next time you're craving spicy noodles without the oil, eat healthy Chinese food at home with this Dan dan noodle recipe.
If you love this noodle recipe, give these recipes a try!
- Yaki Udon Noodles
- Garlic Noodles
- Vietnamese Noodles
- Yum Yum Noodles
- Spicy Thai Vegan Drunken Noodles with Seared Tofu
- General Tso Cauliflower
- Spicy Korean Baked Cauliflower
- Korean Tofu
Dan Dan Noodles
Dan Dan Noodles
- 12 ounces rice noodles or Chinese noodles
- 1 head bok choy chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage chopped
- 2 bunches scallions sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon hot chili sauce
- ½ cup Soy sauce or Tamari
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter or 2 Tablespoons PB Fit + 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup or date syrup
- ¼ cup water
Spicy Chili Peanuts
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 1 Tablespoon aquafaba liquid in the chickpea can
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
Preparing the noodles
- Soak the dried rice noodles in cool or lukewarm water for 30 minutes or until they're limp but still firm to the touch.
- Then, drain the noodles thoroughly in a colander and set them aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Later, cooking the noodles in a wok with the other ingredients only takes minutes.
Making the Spicy Chili Peanuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, add the peanuts.
- Add the aquafaba and toss, getting all the peanuts wet.
- Now combine all the spices in a small dish, cover the wet peanuts, and toss, coating them in seasoning.
- Next, place the coated peanuts on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Cook for 10 minutes; allow to cool.
Preparing the Spicy Sauce
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Set aside.
Cooking the Dan dan noodles
- Heat a wok to medium-high
- Add the garlic, onions, and mushrooms, and cook until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are browned.
- Now, add the chopped bok Choy and red cabbage
- Stir until wilted
- Add the drained, rinsed noodles and toss until heated through (2-3 minutes)
- Add the sauce and toss a few times again, combining the sauce and noodles until hot.
- Remove from heat
- Serve in bowls or plates and garnish with spicy chili peanuts and a little parsley for color.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂