When I was a kid, I remember pumpkin seeds being one of the best parts of Halloween. I loved pulling the "goop" from the pumpkin so that we could separate the seeds. Then, my mom roasted them, and we ate them as a snack.
Pumpkin seeds are high in magnesium, iron, and zinc. This source of plant protein is high in antioxidants and is said to improve the immune system and heart health.
At the time, I didn't know pumpkin seeds were a healthy snack. If my mom had told us that, we probably wouldn't have eaten them by the handfuls.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS WITHOUT OIL
Although most recipes for simple roasted pumpkin seeds require oil and cooking spray, pumpkins seeds are easy to make without both.
Recently, I made Pumpkin Rigatoni for dinner. So, I was faced with the "goop" inside the pumpkin and decided to roast the seeds. I haven't roasted pumpkin seeds in years, so I wondered what would happen if I didn't use oil.
Instead of drying them overnight as my mom did, I rinsed them and roasted them right away. I also used my Crisper Copper Pan. This way, the seeds could roast vented.
THE PROCESS OF MAKING OIL-FREE ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS IS EASY
- Pick the seeds from the inside of the pumpkin, taking away the pumpkin fresh.
- Rinse the seeds, but do not dry the seed
- Just shake off excess water; this way, the seasoning you choose will stick on the seeds (I used garlic salt)
- Then roast them in the oven or the air-frier
As a result, you will have a bowl full of tasty, crunchy pumpkin seeds without any oil!
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OTHER PUMPKIN RECIPES FOR THE SEASON...
- Vegan Pumpkin Crack Dip
- Pumpkin Spice Bread
- Roasted Pumpkin Vinaigrette
- Mini Vegan Pumpkin Pies
- Pumpkin Rigatoni
No Oil Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- garlic salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove pumpkin flesh from seeds; rinse seeds but do not pat dry; just shake off the extra water.
- Lay the seeds on a non-stick pan or a Crisper Copper Pan in a single layer (just shake a little)
- Sprinkle with garlic salt or any seasoning you prefer
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brown and crisp
- Allow cooling
- Pour into a cute Halloween bowl
- Great as a snack or on top of salads or soups
Air frier Directions
- Spread the seeds in the fryer basket evenly.
- Cook at 360F for 10-15 minutes. Shake the basket half way through for even roasting.
- After they are done, take out and check whether they are crisp to your liking. If not, air fry them for additional 3-5 minutes.
- Let them cool, adjust the seasoning to your taste and enjoy the snack
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂