Pizza anyone? When I transitioned to a plant-based diet, I thought I would never enjoy pizza again. Even though we ordered vegan pizza out, the sauce and crust were always oily. Then, I decided to make my own oil-free pizza sauce and pizza dough. To my surprise, my oil-free pizza sauce and pizza dough were just as good as the pizza parlors we ordered from.
Although today, vegan pizza is readily available at most pizza restaurants, making oil-free pizza sauce and pizza dough is more fun and way more healthy! Obviously, ‘skinny’ and “pizza” aren’t usually in the same category. But, it is possible to make oil-free pizza sauce and pizza dough. At least when you make pizza at home, you guarantee it’s healthy.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE A DELICIOUS VEGAN OIL-FREE PIZZA SAUCE?
(SPINACH, ARTICHOKE, ROASTED RED PEPPER PIZZA)
In order to make an incredible pizza, the secret is in the sauce. A rich tomato sauce, with incredible flavor, works perfectly with your favorite toppings. Personally, I love savory flavors.
- 2 cups plain tomato puree (no oil) I used Muir Glen Organic or POMI crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon smoked salt
Oil-free pizza sauce, for example, makes enough for 2 medium pizzas, but I double the recipe and freeze the rest.
OIL-FREE PIZZA DOUGH IS EASY TO MAKE AMD TASTES GREAT!
After making it for the hundredth time, I decided this is my new ‘go-to’ dough! Every great pizza begins with a great pizza crust. Some like a thin and crispy pizza crust, while others prefer thick and soft pizza crust. This homemade pizza crust,though, has it all: soft and chewy with a delicious crisp and AWESOME flavor.
The secret to the crust, however, is vital wheat gluten and flaxseed meal.
Wheat gluten is a food made from gluten, the main protein of wheat. It is made by washing wheat flour dough with water until all the starch granules have been removed, leaving the sticky insoluble gluten as an elastic mass, which is then cooked before being eaten.
Flaxseed meal, on the other hand, provides protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. One tablespoon of ground flax seeds, for instance, contains the following:
- Calories: 37
- Protein: 1.3 grams
- Carbs: 2 grams
- Fiber: 1.9 grams
- Total fat: 3 grams
- Saturated fat: 0.3 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5 grams
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.0 grams
- Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,597 mg
- Vitamin B1: 8% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 2% of the RDI
- Folate: 2% of the RDI
- Calcium: 2% of the RDI
- Iron: 2% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 7% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
- Potassium: 2% of the RDI
OIL-FREE DOUGH: (MAKES 2 MEDIUM PIZZAS)
- 1 cup warm water (run the tap until warm)
- 2½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan raw sugar
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 heaping tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cornmeal for the bottom of the pizza stone
With this in mind, I chose a Mediterranean pizza, and a mushroom, onion, and arugula pizza. Although you can choose any toppings, the oil-free sauce and dough work well with any toppings.
MEDITERRANEAN PIZZA TOPPINGS:
- Spinach (handful) raw
- Red onion sliced in strips (1/2 cup)
- 6 Sun-dried tomatoes: Use dried no oil. Rehydrate by placing them in boiling water for 30 minutes; drain, and chop
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 3 cloves crushed garlic.
MUSHROOM/ONION ARUGULA PIZZA:
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 8 ounces of mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups of arugula
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
For those of you who meal prep, the dough and sauce can be frozen and used at another time.
IF YOU LIKE OIL-FREE PIZZA SAUCE AND OIL-FREE PIZZA DOUGH, TRY THESE HEALTHY VEGAN ITALIAN RECIPES
- Vegan Lasagna
- Vegan Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Veggie Stuffed Shells
- Veggie Stuffed Shells
- Vegan Pasta Primavera
- One-Pot Tomato Basil Pasta
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe
- Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Antipasto Salad
- Creamy Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta
- Vegan Curry Pizza