With spring here, the chilly nights and warmer days scream for healthy spring soups. No matter time of year it is, I love soup! As you can tell from my soup recipes, I spend my days dreaming up new soups to make. Today's creation, for example, is a quinoa vegetable soup full of spring vegetables.
When I went to the store this week, I found beautiful baby red potatoes, zucchini, organic kale, red bell peppers, and celery. Due to the pandemic, though, I couldn't find any carrots or fresh peas, but I scored a bag of frozen corn, peas, and carrots combined in one bag.
Luckily onions and garlic were also available. And it was a huge WIN to find red quinoa! Instead of making a noodle or rice soup, I thought I would give quinoa a try. Although I was worried quinoa might get mushy, I was pleasantly surprised that quinoa is GREAT to add to soup, and it heats up like a champ.
So, let's make quinoa vegetable soup in 30 minutes or less, which is another secret bonus to this soup!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO ADD TO YOUR GROCERY LIST FOR QUINOA VEGETABLE SOUP
Even though I chose vegetables readily available, pick and chose your favorite vegetables to add to your quinoa vegetable soup recipe.
- White or yellow onions
- Baby red potatoes
- Red bell pepper
- Greens of choice (I used kale)
- Pinto beans (or beans of choice)
- Frozen organic corn, peas, and carrot blend (I used Cascadia Farms)
- Red quinoa (uncooked) or quinoa of choice
- Vegetable broth
- Smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
Regardless of the vegetables, greens, and beans you choose, making quinoa vegetable soup is quick and easy.
HOW TO MAKE QUICK AND EASY QUINOA VEGETABLE SOUP IN 20 MINUTES
Since the pandemic, we all have more time on our hands, but that doesn't mean you want to use that time to cook. In fact, I think we all enjoy quick and easy recipes! And hopefully, during this difficult time, we have all found hobbies we didn't know we enjoyed until now.
As with most one-pot meals, the soup needs to begin with sauteeing the garlic, onions, and celery together first. Then, you add the potatoes, followed by all the ingredients except for the kale and quinoa.
COOKING OPTIONS FOR QUINOA VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE
Despite my love for my crockpot, I made quinoa vegetable soup on the stove today. Because we are quarantined, and cooking is my job, I had the time. But, if you want to make this soup in your crockpot, you can throw it all in the crockpot and walk away.
- Add all the ingredients except for the quinoa
- Cook on low for 8 hours
- 6 hours into the cooking process, add the quinoa
- Simple, painless, and really easy!
- Saute the garlic, onions, and celery until onions are translucent.
- Add potatoes; stir
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the kale and quinoa
- Bring to a boil and cover for 5 minutes
- Add 1 cup of dry, uncooked red quinoa (or quinoa of choice); return to a boil and cover again.
- Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for a 15 minutes
- Remove cover and add kale; stir until greens are wilted
For those who like to cook in advance and meal prep, quinoa vegetable soup is great for lunch all week long.
TIPS FOR FREEZING AND THAWING QUINOA VEGETABLE SOUP
Freezing quinoa vegetable soup is easy. However, I suggest leaving 1-inch from the top of any freezer-safe container. Furthermore, when planning to reheat the soup, make sure to thaw it completely before reheating, so the vegetables and quinoa don't overcook.
LOOKING FOR WONDERFUL SOUPS TO WELCOME SPRING? CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Vegan Carrot Soup
- Vegan Basil Zucchini Soup
- Fennel Tomato Soup
- Very Veggie and Bean Soup
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Chickpea Soup
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Thai Coconut Soup Recipe
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Skinny Detox Lentil Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Crockpot Split Pea Soup
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂