When I am craving a Vegan Reuben sandwich, I'm really craving the sauerkraut and Vegan Thousand Island Dressing! Although I love sauerkraut, why not add a little tempeh love? To make tempeh into "corned beef," I transform tempeh to tastes just like corned beef. To make the perfect Vegan Tempeh Reuben recipe, all you need is a quick and easy two-ingredient marinade!
To make the perfect vegan sandwich, it's all about the combination of ingredients and how the sandwich is put together. So, let's make a vegan Reuben make your taste buds dance.
HOW TO TRANSFORM TEMPEH INTO VEGAN CORNED BEEF FOR VEGAN REUBEN
One of the most common mistakes people make when preparing tempeh is skipping an essential step, boiling the tempeh. As a matter of fact, tempeh has a naturally bitter taste, but when boiled, the bitter taste vanishes. Not only does boiling tempeh make it taste better, but it also prepares it to soak up any marinade you decide to use.
BOIL THE TEMPEH FOR 10 MINUTES, THEN DRAIN AND COOL BEFORE HANDLING
THE MAGIC MARINADE FOR THE VEGAN TEMPEH REUBEN RECIPE
First, you need to master the taste of corned beef flavors to make the tempeh perfect. For example, the brining process and the salty, spiced, sour taste are the magic to the vegan tempeh Reuben.
Next, you have to find a vegan version of that brining process; I use a combination of pickle juice and beet juice. For the best results, I suggest marinating the tempeh overnight. Although pickle juice and beet juice may sound a little odd, it is the perfect combination to create a sweet and sour marinade.
Then, it's just a matter of grilling the tempeh to make the perfect vegan tempeh "corned beef" for the vegan tempeh Reuben.
HOW TO GRILL REUBEN TEMPEH FOR THE PERFECT VEGAN TEMPEH REUBEN
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees
- Wait until the grill is hot.
- Remove tempeh from the marinade; throw away marinade; you won't need it again.
- Place the pieces of tempeh directly on the grill.
- Cook for 20 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes to achieve grill marks.
- Remove the tempeh from the grill.
- Slice the tempeh into thin strips
WHAT'S IN THE SECRET SAUCE FOR VEGAN TEMPEH REUBEN?
As with most great sandwiches, it's the secret sauce that makes a great sandwich. For this vegan tempeh recipe, I made a Vegan Thousand Island Dressing!
WHAT'S IN SKINNY VEGAN THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING?
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight but not necessary)
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons agave (you can sub maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup of diced pickles(do not blend with other ingredients; set aside.
- DO NOT blend pickles when you make dressing; stir them in after blending.
VARIATION 1 AND 2: (IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO NUTS)
- Substitute 1/2 cup Vegenasie for nuts and reduce water to 1/4 cup or
- Substitute 1/2 cup silken tofu for nuts and use 1/2 cup water
- Blend all ingredients except the pickles
- Dice the pickles and stir into the blended dressing
- Refrigerate until cool.
MAKING THE PERFECT TEMPEH REUBEN SANDWICH RECIPE IS EASY!
Once the tempeh is grilled, the secret sauce is made, and the sauerkraut is squeezed and drained, you are ready to build your sandwich.
- Toast the bread (of choice)
- Spread the Vegan Thousand Island Dressing on the base of the toasted bread
- Add slices of grilled Reuben tempeh.
- Top with a generous amount of sauerkraut
- Drizzle with more Vegan Thousand Island Dressing
- Top with the second piece of toasted bread
Another suggestion is to make a grilled wrap tempeh Reuben sandwich or serve the sandwich open-faced using only one bread piece.
If you avoid bread, turn your vegan tempeh Reuben wrap into a salad full of fresh vegetables, tempeh, and use the Vegan Thousand Island Dressing. Instead, use lettuce as your bread and create a lettuce wrap. Or, make a salad with the ingredients and skip the bread altogether. Either way, you will love the combination of flavors.
SANDWICH LOVER RECIPES YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS...
- Skinny Greek Wrap Sandwich
- Skinny Jackfruit Tuna Salad
- Vegan BBQ Pulled Sweet Potato Sandwiches with Pineapple Slaw
- Vegan Curry Chickpea Sandwich Spread
- Beet Burger
- Vegan Muffuletta Sandwich
- Tofu Banh Mi
- BBQ Tempeh
- BBQ Jackfruit Recipe
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂