My husband LOVES dessert, so I made a chocolate vegan pudding from sweet potatoes. Although I don't really care for sweets and prefer savory foods, I try to make healthy desserts at home to keep his sweet tooth satisfied.
Because sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, you can make a healthy chocolate vegan pudding with very few ingredients. And, my vegan chocolate pudding recipe doesn't have any refined sugar.
In fact, I use dates and maple syrup to enhance the flavor of the sweet potatoes and other ingredients.
WHAT SWEET POTATOES TO CHOOSE TO MAKE CHOCOLATE VEGAN PUDDING
- Purple Stokes: slow bake, mash, curries, soups, dessert
- Garnet: Roasting, baking, stuffing, mashing, casseroles, soups, pureeing, pies
- Hannah: Roasting, baking, mashing, putting in stews and soups, fries
- Japanese: Roasting, stuffing, steaming, fries, soups, stews
- Jewel: Boiling, baking, casseroles, sweet potato pie
Compared to other sweet potatoes and yams, purple potatoes' flavor and texture are favorably drier, denser, and richer taste with well-balanced sweetness. So, I chose purple potatoes for my chocolate vegan pudding recipe.
However, purple sweet potatoes are sometimes difficult to find, but garnet sweet potatoes work perfectly for this vegan chocolate pudding.
HOW TO PICK AND STORE SWEET POTATOES AT THE STORE
Choose sweet potatoes with tight, unwrinkled skins without any bruises or blemishes. Bigger, however, is not always better; larger sweet potatoes are starchier. So, look at small- to medium-sized sweet potatoes.
Unfortunately, sweet potatoes generally do not store well, and once they start to spoil, they rot quickly. Even if you think you can cut away the spoiled parts of sweet potato, it negatively affects the entire potato's taste.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN VEGAN CHOCOLATE PUDDING?
- Purple Sweet Potatoes (or Garnet Sweet Potatoes)
- Medjool Dates
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Oat Milk (or preferred plant milk)
HOW TO SOFTEN DATES FOR EASY BLENDING
Although most dates are soft enough to be blended, sometimes they harden a bit. One way to soften dates quickly is to boil a cup of water, soak the dates for 10 minutes, drain them, and then add them to the pudding ingredients.
Furthermore, I suggest blending on high and stop several times to scrape the sides down until the pudding mixture is thin. Once blended to a smooth texture, the vegan chocolate pudding is refrigerated and thickens while it cools.
POSSIBLE ADDITIONS FOR VEGAN CHOCOLATE PUDDING FOR SERVING
Even though the vegan chocolate pudding is fabulous on its own, I like to give it a little pizazz sometimes. For instance, there are ways to change or enhance the flavor of the base recipe.
- Add 1/2 cup peanut butter to the food processor or blender for peanut butter chocolate pudding.
- Top with fresh raspberries, blueberries, mandarin orange segments, or pineapple
- Put sliced bananas and strawberries for a banana split pudding.
- Sprinkle with Spanish peanut or your favorite nuts
- Crush peppermint candy for a Christmas treat
- Toast unsweetened coconut flakes and sprinkle on top of the pudding
- Blend fresh cherries in the pudding recipe for cherry pudding
Next, make the chocolate vegan pudding a little fancy by putting it in a favorite dessert dish and serve. My husband loved the chocolate vegan pudding and asked if there was more for tomorrow. Lucky for him, I made a whole recipe!
If you LOVE chocolate and something sweet, try this chocolate vegan pudding recipe made from sweet potatoes.
HERE ARE MORE HEALTHY DESSERT RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- Simple Vegan Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Vegan Pumpkin Crack Dip
- Vegan Apple Crisp
- Mini Vegan Pumpkin Pies
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂