WHAT IS JACKFRUIT EXACTLY?
Unfortunately, jackfruit, the actual fruit, is enormous in size and difficult to tackle a fresh jackfruit in your own kitchen. Instead, jackfruit is now readily available in cans as well as packages in the grocery store.
For convenience purposes, I strongly suggest buying canned jackfruit in water or brine. In addition, jackfruit comes canned in syrup, which is not ideal for vegan buffalo chicken dip.
Fibrous and dense, jackfruit is the perfect texture to absorb any and all flavors. Jackfruit, although porous, tastes somewhat gummy and bland directly from the can. In fact, the first time I tried it from the can, I was very turned off.
With that being said, I recommend giving jackfruit a second try. If prepared properly, jackfruit is a fabulous meat substitute.
USING JACKFRUIT FOR VEGAN BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
Because the jackfruit is bland and a bit gummy, I like to shred it in my food processor.
Next, I saute the jackfruit with diced onions, until the jackfruit is brown and cooked through. Once the jackfruit is cooked through, it makes the perfect meat substitute for the chicken in my vegan buffalo chicken dip.
VEGAN BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP INGREDIENTS
Traditional buffalo chicken dip, for example, is a combination of cream cheese, ranch, buffalo sauce, cheese, and chicken.
Vegan buffalo chicken dip, on the other hand, is much healthier and made with a combination of my vegan ranch dressing from my Skinny Buffalo Cauliflower Salad, with a couple more ingredients.
Even though you would assume buffalo sauce is vegan, a lot of sauces have butter and other non-vegan ingredients. So, make sure you check the bottle.
MAKE VEGAN BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP AHEAD OF TIME AND BAKE WHEN YOU NEED IT!
Another bonus about this dip is you can make it and refrigerate it until you are ready to bake it. Since I am always in a hurry, especially when having guests, it's always better to make it ahead of time.
Furthermore, make sure to use an oven-proof bowl. However, If you choose to bake the vegan buffalo chicken dip in a different container, just transfer it to a dip bowl when you are ready to serve.
Because I used my oven-safe bowls, I placed a plate underneath so I could add my vegetables and pita chips I served on the side.
Actually, I contemplated keeping the dip warm using a small crockpot, but as I suspected, the dip was gone in seconds.
As my husband said, after his fifth bite, "Put this one in the keeper box." So, here it is in to share with you.
If you enjoy party recipes for both vegan and non-vegan friends, check out these fun party dips.
- Vegan Layered Greek Dip
- Vegan 7 Layer Taco Dip
- Vegan Pumpkin “Crack” Dip
- Skinny Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus Salad Dip
- Skinny Mustard Cheese Dip
- Skinny Basil White Bean and Chickpea Dip
- Vegan Low-Fat Edamame Hummus with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 ½ cup cashews soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup unsweetened unflavored almond milk or plant-milk of choice
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ¼ cup fresh dill chop separate; do not add to blender
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley hope separate; do not add to blender
Other Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
- Celery cut into bite sized strips
- Carrot chips
- Baked Pita Chips
- Place all jackfruit into the large cup of your food processor (if you do not have a food processor, you can shred with a fork)
- Pulse on low until all the jackfruit is shredded
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, saute the onions and garlic until translucent
- Use a little vegetable broth if needed to prevent sticking.
- Now, add the shredded jackfruit, sauteeing until a golden brown.
- Again, you may need to use some vegetable broth or water to prevent sticking.
- Removed from heat.
- Rinse and drain cashews
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT the dill and parsley, in a high-speed blender
- Blend on high until smooth
- Add parsley and dill
- Set aside
BAKING THE VEGAN BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
- Serve hot with your favorite vegetables, tortilla chips, or baked pita chips.
- Drizzle reserved buffalo sauce on top after baking.
- Vegan buffalo chicken dip can be made up to 2 days before and baked when ready to serve.
- Just make and cover until ready to bake
- Vegan buffalo chicken dip will last in the refrigerator for 5 days and can be reheated.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂