When the kids come to visit, I always make their favorites, one of which is vegan flatbread pizza. Because they all like different topping, I make Vegan Flatbread Pizza 3 Ways to accommodate everyone and make it easier on myself.
Of course, the boys like vegan meat, and they like it hot, so I made one part of the pizza the Field Roast Chipotle Sausage and jalapeños. Luckily, I had one left over from when I made Creamy Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta, so I cooked it and crumbled it for the topping of now pizza. I also used my Skinny Oil-Free Pizza Sauce for the base.
Then, I used leftover pesto for the base of two of the flatbreads; my girls love pesto. But, some like it spicy, and some like it more bland. To make the whole crew happy, I made another portion with mushrooms, onions and basil. For the remaining portion of the Vegan Flatbread Pizza 3 Ways, I used grape tomatoes, banana peppers, and kalamata olives.
In addition, I made a huge Vegan Kale and Pasta Caesar Salad to accompany the Vegan Flatbread Pizzas.
Although I generally make my own Skinny Pizza Dough, today was an impromptu dinner, so I ran to Trader Joe’s for my favorite pizza dough. If you would like to make your own dough, click on teh recipe above. Otherwise, I highly recommend the Trader Joes’ Crust.
Even though there appears to be a picture of a hunk of cheese on the package, this pizza crust is completely vegan! In fact, this pizza crust is so big, I made Vegan Flatbread Pizzas 3 Ways on one pizza crust.
With one pizza crust, you can please the whole family.
- 1 Trader Joes pizza crust or make homemade Skinny Oil-Free Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup Skinny Oil-Free Pizza Sauce (freeze the rest) or use for another recipe
- 1/4 cup Artichoke Pesto or Trader Joes has a great vegan version as well
PESTO (YOU CHOOSE)
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup basil
- 1 cup artichokes (I used a can marinated in water; drain)
- 1 lemon or 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
NUT-FREE PESTO OPTION
- 1 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves. The more the merrier.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15 ounces can navy/cannellini beans (1.5 cups); rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- the juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
TOPPINGS (These are the ones I used; juts choose ones your family likes)
- 1 Field roast Chipotle sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 2 jalapeños, deseeded and sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- basil garnish
SAUCE (I make my own Skinny Oil-Free Pizza Sauce or use your favorite store brand)
- 2 cups plain tomato puree (no oil) I used Muir Glen Organic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon smoked salt
- For this recipe I used Trader Joes prepared pizza crust or you can make Skinny Oil-Free Pizza Dough
OIL-FREE DOUGH: (Makes 2 medium pizzas)
- 1 cup warm water (run the tap until warm)
- 2½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan raw sugar
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 heaping tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Corn meal for the bottom of the pizza stone
3 WAYS TOPPINGS (YOU CHOOSE)
- Pizza sauce, onions, sausage and jalapeños
- Pesto mushrooms, onions, and basil
- Pesto, tomatoes, onions, banana peppers
Keywords: vegan flatbread pizza, vegan pizza, plant based pizza, pizza, vegetable pizza, no cheese pizza, pesto flatbread, pesto pizza