Recently, my husband and I ate at our favorite Italian restaurant in town. They serve a fabulous vegan Minestrone and a salad I love, so we eat there often. On this particular visit, the gentleman sitting next to me was eating a gnocchi soup that looked divine. It was thick and creamy, with little gnocchi floating in the broth. So, of course, I searched the menu to check out the ingredients. Although the soup was vegan, I decided to make my vegan gnocchi soup. For my vegan gnocchi soup recipe, I chose to add a bunch of my favorite veggies, as well as a savory broth.
What is gnocchi?
Despite popular belief, gnocchi is not pasta. Instead, gnocchi is made of potatoes and formed into dumplings. Although generally served as an entree with various sauces, gnocchi also works wonderfully in soups and stews. Most gnocchi is oil-free and vegan.
Available in the pasta section on the shelf, vacuum-sealed, refrigerated, or freezer in most grocery stores.
Even though I plan to make my gnocchi soon, I opted for the vacuum-sealed variety today.
What ingredients are in packaged gnocchi?
For this vegan gnocchi soup recipe, I chose De Cecco Potato Gnocchi
- Mashed Potatoes 80% [Water, Dried Potato Flakes 24% (Potatoes 99%, Spices)]
- Potato Starch 15%
- Wheat Flour
- Rice Flour
- pH Control Agent: Lactic Acid, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate
But, other vegan and oil-free varieties are available for sale as well:
- Bella Terra Organic Potato Gnocchi
- Sanniti Potato Gnocchi
- Delallo Gluten-Free Gnocchi
- Bartenura Potato Gnocchi
- Tuscanini Potato Gnocchi (these a fun mini version and great for soup)
Beware of brands, however, that contain diglycerides and other hidden fat sources if you are searching for an oil-free version. As a rule, the fewer ingredients in any product, the better.
Varieties of gnocchi
- Classic potato gnocchi (some varieties contain egg, oil, and cheese, so check the label)
- Sweet potato gnocchi
- Gluten-free gnocchi
- Cauliflower Gnocchi
What is gnocchi soup?
Vegan gnocchi soup is a thick and savory soup with a vegetable base flavored with savory ingredients, fresh vegetables, and potato gnocchi.
Even though this soup appears sinful by appearance, it is healthy and only contains plant food and a bit of flour and nutritional yeast.
How to make gnocchi soup
Since this soup takes mere minutes to make, it begins with a trinity of vegetables to start the base. But, honestly, it takes longer to chop the vegetables than to cook the entire pot of soup.
- Rosemary (fresh is best)
- Thyme (fresh is best)
- Trader Joe's Chicken-Less Seasoning or Poultry seasoning
- White wine
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Vegetable broth
- Gnocchi (oil-free)
- Kale (or greens of choice)
- Plant-milk plus flour of choice (for gluten-free choose gluten-free flour like chickpea flour)
- Nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
First, cook the garlic, onions, and celery (the trinity it's called), and then add the mushrooms and carrots. Then, add the herbs and spices, allowing them to flavor the vegetables. Now, add the vegetable broth and plant milk mixture. Bring to a boil and add the gnocchi, followed by the kale. Both the gnocchi and the kale take minutes to cook.
Because gnocchi cooks so quickly (2 minutes), it's essential to work quickly.
What grocery section is gnocchi in?
- Gnocchi is found in the grocery store's refrigerator, pasta, or frozen section.
Is all Gnocchi vegan?
- No! Some gnocchi brands are made with egg and cheese. Also, if you eat an oil-free plant-based plan, make sure you look for hidden fat in ingredients such as partially hydrogenated coconut or palm kernel, hydrogenated soybean, etc.
What should I serve with gnocchi soup?
- Crusty bread, a large green salad, or steamed vegetables are great options to serve with gnocchi soup.
How long is gnocchi soup good for in the refrigerator?
- Vegan gnocchi soup will last 3-4 days refrigerated.
Is poultry seasoning vegan?
- Yes! Poultry seasoning, despite its name, is a seasoning used to season poultry, but it is 100% vegan. I like Trader Joe's Chicken-less Seasoning.
Can gnocchi soup be reheated?
- Yes, vegan gnocchi soup can be reheated on low in the microwave or the stove on low. However, you may have to add a little water or plant milk, as the soup tends to thicken in the refrigerator.
Can gnocchi soup be frozen?
- Although plant milk-based soups do not maintain their texture, gnocchi soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. But be sure to thaw completely. If the texture is thicker than desired, you may have to add additional water, broth, or milk.
- If using frozen gnocchi, the cooking time is the same (2-3 minutes) as the prepackaged gnocchi, but cover the pot while the gnocchi cooks and do not reduce the heat.
- Nutritional yeast provides a "cheesy flavor." Soy sauce, liquid aminos, tamari, or miso paste is an excellent substitute for nutritional yeast.
- When freezing soup, always leave at least an inch between the top of the soup and the container's lid. This prevents freezer burn.
If you love savory soups, check out these fantastic savory soup recipes
- Thick & Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup (Without Cheese!)
- Non-Dairy New England Clam Chowder
- Curried Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
- Cream of Chickpea Soup Recipe
- Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Vegan Gnocchi Soup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ small white onion diced
- 1 small shallot diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms Sliced
- 2 carrots sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary fresh is best, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon thyme fresh is best, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Chickenless Seasoning or poultry seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons white wine
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 16 ounces gnocchi oil-free (package sizes vary between 15-17.5 ounces; close enough is fine)
- 2 cups Kale or greens of choice, chopped
- 1 cup plant-milk plus 2 Tablespoons of flour of choice for gluten-free choose gluten-free flour like chickpea flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute on medium-high heat garlic, onions, shallots, and celery until onions are translucent.
- Add carrots, rosemary, thyme, poultry seasoning, and red pepper flakes (if using)
- Add the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms start to brown
- When the vegetables start sticking to the bottom of the pan, add the wine. Stir.
- Now, add the vegetable broth, plant milk blended with flour, and nutritional yeast and bring it to a boil.
- Add gnocchi, stir, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2-3 minutes, uncovered (unless using frozen gnocchi; then cover for the same amount of time.
- Add the chopped kale, stir, and it will wilt immediately,
- Remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serve with crusty bread and a large green salad.
- Add the first 12 ingredients into the base of the crockpot (garlic-vegetable broth)
- Cook covered for 4-5 hours on high.
- Blend plant milk with flour and nutritional yeast and add to crockpot
- Reduce to low heat setting on the crockpot.
- Add gnocchi, stir, cover, and cook for 45 more minutes
- Turn off heat and add kale, and stir. Kale will wilt immediately.
Instant Pot Directions
- Set Instant Pot on Saute setting
- Add in garlic, wine, carrot, shallot, onion, celery, and mushrooms.
- Stir in 4 cups of veggie broth, stirring frequently.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rosemary, poultry seasoning, red pepper flakes (if using), and thyme.
- Flavor mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Set Instant Pot to soup setting and set a timer for 15 minutes.
- Allow Instant pot to release for about 5 minutes naturally and then quick release.
- Return to Saute mode and add in gnocchi, plant milk blended with four, and nutritional yeast.
- Now add kale and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂