Nothing tastes better on a cold winter night than wild rice soup with mushrooms. Whenever I make a new mushroom soup recipe, my goal is always savory, veggie-filled, and decadent.
So, today, when the wind picked up, I decided to make a wild rice soup with mushrooms in a creamy, thick broth. Similar to many of my other soup recipes, I cooked it in one pot, in stages to cook the vegetables perfectly.
One thing I love about thick and hearty soups, like wild rice and mushroom soup, is it's filling!
SELECTING THE VEGGIES FOR WILD RICE SOUP WITH MUSHROOMS
Since mushrooms are obviously a part of the wild rice soup recipe, adding other vegetables enhances the soup's nutrients and flavors.
Even though you can choose your favorite vegetables, I chose celery, carrots, onions, and garlic.
THE WILD RICE SOUP WITH MUSHROOMS INGREDIENTS
- White Onion
- Wild Rice Blend
- Vegetable Broth
- Nutritional Yeast
- Chickpea Flour (or any flour of choice)
- Oat Milk (plant-milk of choice)
- Unami Seasoning (substitute additional nutritional yeast)
- Poultry Seasoning ( I used Trader Joe's Chickless Seasoning)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Parsley Garnish
HOW TO COOK WILD RICE SOUP WITH MUSHROOMS: ONE-POT
To cook the vegetables perfectly and the rice, I sauteed some vegetables first, before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Saute the onions and garlic until translucent (Oil-Free Tip: Use a small amount of vegetable broth or water to avoid sticking)
- Then add the mushrooms until browned.
- Next, add all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the plant milk, flour, and nutritional yeast in a high-speed blender and held on high until smooth; set aside.
- Once the rice is cooked through, remove the cover and stir in the roux.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
OTHER METHODS OF COOKING WILD RICE SOUP WITH MUSHROOMS
INSTANT POT COOKING METHOD:
- Combine the vegetable broth, wild rice, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, celery, and onion in the Instant Pot bowl. Stir briefly to combine.
- Cover and cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes. Let the Instant Pot rest and naturally release the pressure for approximately 10 minutes. Then carefully open the vent and quickly release the remaining pressure. Remove lid and discard the bay leaf.
- Add the plant milk combined with the flour and nutritional yeast. Season with Unami and poultry seasoning. To combine. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
SLOW COOKER/CROCKPOT METHOD:
- Put vegetable broth, wild rice, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, celery, onion, Unami, and poultry seasoning in a crockpot base. Stir briefly to combine, then place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 1 to 2 hours until the wild rice is tender.
- Blend the plant milk, nutritional yeast, and flour. Stir the mixture into the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste(
For a little added color, add parsley to each bowl, and serve a cup of soup for a side dish or a bowl as an entree.
Gluten-free, nut-free, and full of veggies, wild rice soup with mushrooms is a thick, savory, and hearty soup! Take a bite and smile.
DO YOU LOVE HEALTHY CREAMY VEGETABLE SOUPS?
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Vegetable Soup with Beans
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Soup Recipes for the Fall
- Vegan Crockpot Split Pea Soup
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Quinoa Vegetable Soup
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Vegan Carrot Soup
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂