These air fryer hash brown patties are a favorite breakfast side dish. Make golden brown and crispy hash brown patties in the air fryer in minutes with a few simple ingredients.
I love hash browns and pretty much anything potato! So, I decided to make air fryer hash brown patties as a side dish for brunch this weekend. It's so easy to make air hash brown patties in the air fryer. They were crispy and crunchy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside, just the way I like them.
Why Make Homemade Hash Browns?
Unfortunately, frozen hash brown patties are full of oil and preservatives; however, making air-fryer hash brown patties is a healthier alternative and ridiculously easy.
For instance, Ore-Ida hash brown patties include a lot of unhealthy ingredients. Although they are technically vegan, they aren't very healthy:
Ore-Ida Frozen Hash Brown Patty Ingredients
- Vegetable Oil (Canola, soybean, cottonseed, sunflower, and/or corn oils)
- Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate
- Dehydrated Onion
In other words, yuck! So basically, they include all oils because they randomly choose which ones to include in the recipe. And what in the world is sodium acid pyrophosphate?
It's an acid that reacts with baking soda to act as a leavening agent. However, it is also an irritant, and ingestion may injure the mouth, throat, and gastrointestinal tract, resulting in nausea, vomiting, cramps, and diarrhea. And dextrose is sugar. Why is there sugar in hashbrowns?
That said, I think it's important to know what we eat. So, I decided to make my own whole foods version of my favorite unhealthy hash brown patties.
- Shredded Potatoes: I used peeled baking potatoes and shredded them with a box shredder.
- Oat Flour: I chose oat flour because it is gluten-free, and I like the texture and consistency. It isn't too heavy.
- Garlic Salt: Garlic salt is a mixture of ground garlic and sea salt or kosher salt. The ratio of garlic powder to salt is one part garlic powder to three parts salt.
- Egg Replacement: I used Bob Red Mills Egg Replacer as a binder for the air fryer hashbrown patties.
- Paprika: I used regular paprika, which is mild and sweet in flavor.
- Onions: I used white, diced onions.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder provides an additional flavor profile to hash browns.
Recipe Ingredient Substitutions
- Try pre-shredded bagged potatoes such as Simply Potato Hash Browns or frozen shredded potatoes. If using frozen potatoes, allow them to thaw completely before making the hashbrown patties.
- Choose any flour. I chose oat flour to make my hashbrowns gluten-free.
- Use freshly grated garlic instead of garlic salt, and add salt.
- Instead of Bob Red Mills Egg Replacer, make a flax egg by combining one tablespoon of flaxseed meal and three tablespoons of water and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Ancho chili powder is often used to replace paprika in recipes. However, you can use smoked, sweet, or Hungarian paprika based on personal preference.
- Red onions, green onions, yellow onions, or shallots replace the white onions in the recipe.
Making the Recipe
First, peel and shred the potatoes. If using frozen, shredded hash browns, allow them to thaw completely.
Then mix the water with the egg replacement powder and whisk to combine.
Next, add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
Once combined, use a mold such as a small burger press to form the patties, or use your hands.
Regardless of how the hash brown patties are formed, they should be the same size to cook evenly.
Once all the patties are formed, transfer them to a refrigerator and cover until ready to cook.
Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees. In the meantime, form the patties and place them on the air fryer pan in a single layer.
If batch cooking, preheat an oven to 325 degrees and prepare a baking sheet so the cooked hash brown patties stay warm while cooking the remaining batches.
Cook for 12 minutes, flipping the air fryer hash browns over after 6 minutes have lapsed.
Then serve with ketchup, hot sauce, or your favorite condiments. I garnished them with green onions.
Since we love breakfast and brunch on the weekends, and it's so easy to make hash brown patties in the air fryer, we usually serve many of our favorite vegan breakfast recipes.
Or, serve with a fresh fruit salad and some crunchy toast.
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees. Place the frozen hash brown patties in one layer in the air fryer with a cook time of 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through with a plastic spatula. If you like a crispier hash brown patty, feel free to let them cook a few minutes extra.
My recipe for air fryer hash brown patties is oil-free and very healthy.
If your air fryer does not automatically preheat, you can preheat it manually. Select the air fry setting and set the temperature called for in your recipe. I suggest using a three-minute preheat for most models. For larger and oven-style air fryers, preheat for five minutes.
- These hash browns will keep in the fridge for 3 days.
- Reheat in the air fryer for 5 minutes.
- Freeze these hash brown patties if you don't want to air fry them all. Instead, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and flash freeze them before transferring them into a freezer-safe bag.
- They'll be good in the freezer for up to three months.
- Make air fryer hash browns ahead of time; store-formed patties, covered in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
Start the morning with these quick and easy air fryer hash brown patties! With a few simple ingredients, crispy, crunchy, healthy hash brown patties at home.
If you love this air fryer hash brown patties recipe, give a 5-star review and comment below. We would love to hear from you.
Air Fryer Hash Brown Patties
- 2 large Baking Potatoes, peeled and shredded 3 ½ cups
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Egg replacer or 1 flax egg
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespon Oat flour or flour of choice
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garkic powder
- Peel and shred the potatoes.
- Prepare the egg replacer by combining the water and the egg replacementpowder. Stir to combine.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Using your hands, a mold or press, form equal sized hashbrown patties.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees.
- Place hashbrown patties in a single layer on the air fryer pan.
- Cook for 12 minutes, flipping the patties ahlf way through cooking (6 minutes).
- Serve with ketchup, or hot sauce, and sprinkle with green onions (optional)
- If using frozen shredded potatoes, thaw completely before making the recipe.
- Patties should be equal in size. If making larger patties increase the cooking time to adjust to the size discrepancy.
- If batch cooking, preheat an oven to 325 and prepare a baking sheet to keep the cooked hashbrowns patties warm while cooking the remaining patties.
- If freezing the patties, I suggest freezing them raw rather than cooked. Place them on a baking sheet and flash freeze before transferring them to a ziplock bag for storage. They will store for up to 3 months.
- To cook frozen hashbrowns, preheatther air fryer to 400 degrees. Place the frozen hash brown patties in one layer in the air fryer with a cook time of 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through with a plastic spatula. If you like a crispier hash brown patty, feel free to let them cook a few minutes extra.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂