With BBQ season finally here, I am absolutely loving the taste and smell of grilled foods. As most of you know, my favorite way to cook tofu is on the grill. Even in Arizona, we have days when we have to cook indoors, but there’s just something about grilling outside that gets me excited for delicious foods. Today, I decided to make a BBQ tofu recipe with my favorite Vegan Coleslaw.
In order to cook with tofu, it is important the type of tofu you choose as well as the pressing process. Another essential component is marinating the BBQ tofu to get the perfect flavor.
PRESSING AND MARINATING TOFU TO MAKE PERFECT BBQ TOFU EVERY TIME
First, and foremost, the type of tofu you buy is extremely important. For instance, soft tofu is used for dressing, dips, and sauces.
Extra-firm tofu, the other hand, is made for entrees and can be baked, air-fried, grilled or sauteed. As a general rule, I always buy the firmest tofu I can find.
Additionally, sprouted tofu is the firmest tofu, and it does not require pressing. To be honest, this one is my favorite, simply because I don’t have to press it. I just use a paper towel to dry it off, and it’s ready to go.
For years I avoided eating tofu. Every time I made tofu, I ended up moving it to the side of the plate, because it was either fried or mushy. Most restaurants fry it, which doesn’t interest me, and those who bake and grill it seemed to have the same issues I did; soft tasteless tofu.
Then, I figured it out with the help of my EZ Tofu Press. I bought it on Amazon, and in the beginning, I made the same mistakes. I didn’t follow the directions ( a problem I have haha); I was in a hurry as I usually am, and I got the same results….tasteless tofu I didn’t like.
I have many friends who share the same frustration, and although I have posted recipes with similar instructions, this post is literally all about the proper pressing and cooking, so you can enjoy tofu as much as I do.
HOW TO PRESS TOFU FOR GRILLED BBQ TOFU RECIPE
First, carefully remove the tofu from the package, discarding the fluid from the package.
Then, place the tofu in the middle of the press and turn both knobs equally about four turns. I usually place the tofu press in the sink on its side, but for this visual post, I placed it on a plate to drain.
- Turn the knobs every two minutes, equally until you have the end result (the last picture).
- Most people stop here…NOT YET. Keep turning until the knobs are screwed as far as they can to almost touch the end like this:
- Although I have never tried this, I decided this time, I would measure the amount of water I got from the bottom of the plate at the end.
- The amount was 3/4 cup fluid
- Now, remove the press from the plate, and I give it another press with some paper towel for excess fluid removal.
- Next, cut tofu into 4 identical slabs
MARINATING TOFU FOR BBQ TOFU RECIPE: USE YOUR OWN BBQ SAUCE OR HOMEMADE
Because I prefer to make my own condiments, when possible, I made my own BBQ sauce. Why should you make your own? The only way you can really know what is in the food you eat is to make it yourself, so I like to make it myself.
Of course, you can use your favorite BBQ sauce instead of making your own. But, if you are interested in making your own, this is what you need for healthier BBQ sauce:
HEALTHY BBQ SAUCE RECIPE
- 1 White Onion, diced
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Tomato Paste
- 1, 15 oz. can Organic Tomato Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (I used Annie’s)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Molasses
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 /2teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
If you are looking for a store-bought oil-free BBQ sauce, I sometimes use Simple GIrl Organic BBQ Sauces. Also, there is a sugar-free one I like as well, but it is a Carolina BBQ sauce flavor, called Simple Girl Carolina Style BBQ Sauce.
Again, if you are looking for a short cut to making your own BBQ sauce, you just need to make sure you read the label to avoid oil and sugar if you are following a low-fat or no sugar lifestyle.
COOKING OPTIONS FOR BBQ TOFU: GRILL, BAKE, OR AIR-FRY; YOU CHOOSE!
Even though grilled BBQ tofu is my favorite, you have other cooking options if you don’t have access to a grill. Regardless of your cooking choice, BBQ tofu is fabulous on its own or inside a crunchy wrap.
- Preheat the grill to low
- Place a grill mat on the grill (you can also use a grill pan, or if you are careful, you can place the tofu directly on the grill.
- Cook for about 8 minutes on each side
- Remove from the grill and place back in the marinade until ready to use.
- Then, cut it into strips or cubes
BAKING TOFU IS JUST AS EASY
- Simply follow the same pressing and marinating process.
- Then, preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place cut or uncut tofu on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Cook for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and flip tofu over; cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Simply follow the same pressing and marinating process.
- Set air fryer temperature at 375 degrees
- Cook 10-15 minutes, shaking the basket a couple of times through the cooking process
HOW TO MAKE A CRUNCHY BBQ TOFU SANDWICH WRAP
Since it was designated “sandwich night’ at my house I decided to use BBQ tofu for a sandwich rather than an entree this time. If you don’t eat bread, BBQ tofu is wonderful as is, or it is wonderful on top of a salad or on rice or quinoa. However, tonight, my family wanted BBQ sandwiches. So, BBQ tofu sandwiches are what they got!
Once the tofu was grilled, I sliced it into thin strips to fit well in the tortillas I chose for the wraps. Another option is an oil-free lavash wrap, like the ones I use in my Roasted Vegetable and Hummus Grilled Lavash Wrap. Or, as previously noted, skip the bread altogether.
First, I placed the wrap on a flat surface and added a generous portion of baby spinach to create a moisture barrier between the bread and the Vegan Coleslaw.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN CLASSIC VEGAN COLESLAW?
- Shredded white cabbage (my favorite is Napa cabbage because of its thin, delicate, leaves)
- Red cabbage, shredded
- Shredded carrots
- Red onion, sliced thin
- Raw cashews
- Apple cider vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Yellow mustard
In order to make the perfect coleslaw, the more shredded the better, so all the ingredients meld together.
Next, I added sliced tomatoes and sliced BBQ tofu and wrapped the sandwich in a tight burrito style. Then, I grilled each sandwich is a pan.
Since corn was on sale this week, I also grilled fresh corn on the cob for the side dish.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN CREATIVE WAYS TO USE TOFU CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Tofu Banh Mi
- Tofu Feta Cheese
- Tofu Satay
- Teriyaki Tofu
- Lemongrass Tofu Recipe
- Grilled Asian Sesame Tofu with Vegetable Slaw
- Grilled Maple Stone Ground Mustard Tofu
- Skinny Zucchini Stuffed with Veggies and Tofu Ricotta
- Skinny Southwestern Tofu Scramble
- Skinny Cobb Eggless Tofu Salad
- Vegan Egg Salad
- Skinny Veggie Tofu Scramble
- Everything Tofu
- Spicy Tofu Asian Salad with Skinny Peanut Dressing
- Vegan Spicy Thai Drunken Noodles with Seared Tofu
- Vegan Poke Bowl Recipe