I'm a huge taco fan, and Tuesdays at my house are generally taco Tuesday. However, this week, I decided to switch up my salsa and make a fruit salsa with cinnamon chips. Not only is fruit salsa delicious with cinnamon tortilla chips, but this tropical fruit salsa recipe is my favorite summer salsa for my tacos as well.;
Regardless of the type of tacos I enjoy making, different salsas change the whole dynamics of the tacos. My favorite taco recipes all have different base ingredients, yet I change the toppings and salsas interchangeably. That way, tacos are never boring.
(SHOWN LEFT TO RIGHT: Cowboy Caviar, FRUIT SALSA RECIPE, AND TOMATILLO SALSA ON TOFU TACOS)
MY FAVORITE VEGAN TACO RECIPES TO ADD FRUIT SALSA RECIPE:
- Vegan Lentil Tacos
- Tempeh Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Mushroom Chorizo Tacos
- Vegan Potato Tacos
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado-Cilantro Cream
- Roasted Broccolini and Sweet Potato Tostados
What to serve with fruit salsa
Although the fruit salsa recipe is a perfect taco topping, it also is a wonderful dessert topping:
- Dip with cinnamon tortilla chips
- Add to the top of your favorite vegan ice cream
- Serve with Pumpkin Spice Bread
- Use as a topping for breakfast avocado toast
- A perfect topping for vegan yogurt with granola
- Garnish for an acai bowl
Not only is my fruit salsa recipe easy to make, but it also only has fresh ingredients! Because fruit is abundant and beautiful this time of year, I chose my favorite fruits with vibrant colors! If you prefer a different combination, make up your own blend to combine if there are fruits I've selected you may not enjoy or be able to find.
Because I live In Arizona, fresh fruit is abundant all year round. I'm very fortunate, but certain fruits are less expensive and better in the summer. For that reason, I suggest selecting fruits in season.
What are the ingredients in tropical fruit salsa?
Additional ingredients to consider
- Lime juice and zest
- Fresh ginger
As you will notice, I didn't add any maple syrup or sugar because it doesn't need any. Another suggestion is to make the fruit salsa in advance and allow the flavors to deepen in the refrigerator for an hour or so before serving.
Furthermore, I diced all the fruit and other ingredients to make it uniform because I wanted a salsa consistency.
Avoid the "dirty dozen" and buy organic.
To eat healthy and well, there are some fruits which I always buy organic. Commonly referred to as the "dirty dozen" list, here is a list of fruits you should buy organic because of pesticides and other chemicals, which can be dangerous if consumed.
What are the dirty dozen fruits?
How long does fruit salsa last in the refrigerator?
- If you keep it in a covered container, it will last 2-3 days in the fridge. It's essential to keep it airtight and have a very well-sealed lid.
How far ahead can I make fruit salsa?
- You can make fruit salsa up to four days ahead of time, but I suggest 1 day before for the freshest salsa. Making the salsa a day ahead also enhances the flavors of the fruit salsa.
What are the best fruits to use in fruit salsa?
- A variety of fruits of different colors make a more vibrant and colorful fruit salsa.
So, the next time you think tacos or dessert, keep it fresh and try fruit salsa for a change. You won't be disappointed.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂