When I first went plant-based, I didn't think I needed an air-frier until my husband bought me my GoWISE Air-Fryer. One of my favorite things to make with my air-fryer is cinnamon tortilla chips. Not only are cinnamon tortilla chips oil-free, but gluten-free if you choose corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
Regardless of the type of tortillas you choose, cinnamon tortilla chips are light, delicious, and are perfect for fruit salsa or any Mexican dish you enjoy. And, they only take 20 minutes to make an entire batch!
HOW TO MAKE OIL-FREE CINNAMON TORTILLA CHIPS
Every time I cook my Vegan Tortilla Soup recipe, I made oil-free air-frier lime tortilla strips for a crunchy topping. With that in mind, I wondered if I could make oil-free cinnamon tortilla chips in my air-fryer. So, using the same idea, I decided to use the same idea but add a few different seasonings.
My first goal, however, was to mix a few seasonings together for a sweet yet slightly spicy combination. First, I cut tortillas into quarters. For this cinnamon tortillas chip recipe, I chose 8 small tortillas. Both flour and corn tortillas, for example, work perfectly for this recipe.
Then, I soaked the quartered tortillas with lime juice in a bowl, tossing them around with my hands, until they were all wet.
Next I combined cinnamon, chili powder, and a small amount of sugar (which is optional); you can also choose to use salt instead of sugar, or skip both altogether.
Once the seasonings are combined, I added to the bowl of wet tortillas, slowly tossing until covered in spicy goodness.
COOKING CINNAMON TORTILLA CHIPS IN THE AIR-FRYER
Once coated, I suggest cooking the tortillas, in shifts, in a single layer. As a result, the tortilla chips will stay uniform and not stick together.
- Cook at 400 degrees, in a single layer
- Cook for 3 minutes
- Remove cooked chips and place them in a bowl, while you repeat the steps until all chips are air-fried
SUGGESTED USES FOR CINNAMON TORTILLA CHIPS
One of my favorite dishes that go perfectly with cinnamon tortilla chips is fruit salsa!
- The perfect snack to take on the go
- Dip cinnamon tortilla chips in any sweet dip, like a chocolate hummus
- Vegan Pumpkin Crack Dip
- Melted vegan chocolate
- Vegan Lentil Tacos
- Roasted Vegetable Tacos
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Sweet Potato Cakes
- Tempeh Tacos
If you are looking for a great snack or a special way to serve a sweet treat, whip up some oil-free cinnamon tortilla chips!
Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- 8 small flour or corn tortillas cut into quarters
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar or salt one or the other optional
- Cut tortillas into quarters and place in a bowl.
- Pour lime juice slowly into the bowl, while tossing the tortillas in the lime juice making sure all tortillas are damp.
- Combine seasonings in a small bowl, and shake into wet tortillas, again rotating and moving the tortillas around to make sure they are equally covered.
- Preheat the air-fryer to 400 degrees
- Make a single layer of cinnamon tortillas on the bottom of the air-fryer
- Cook for 3 minutes
- Remove the cooked cinnamon tortilla chips and add another single layer and cook.
- Continue cooking until all tortillas are cooked.
ALTERNATIVE COOKING METHOD (if you don't have an air-fryer)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- Create a single layer of tortilla chips on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes; flipping the chips over halfway through the cooking process.
SUGGESTED USES FOR CINNAMON TORTILLA CHIPSOne of my favorite dishes that go perfectly with cinnamon tortilla chips is fruit salsa!
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂