Whenever I make potato salad, my husband begs for German potato salad. So, I turned my grandma's recipe into a vegan German potato salad with smokey coconut bacon.
When I was a kid, my grandma made the best warm potato salad. At the time, I didn't know it was Gerrman! Actually, potato salad originated in Germany.
Traditionally, German potato salad is made with olive oil, sugar, and bacon. My vegan version replaces the bacon with coconut bacon. Also, I use maple syrup instead of sugar and omit the oil altogether. And, I prefer baby red potatoes over white potatoes.
What ingredients are in German Potato Salad?
- Baby red potatoes or potatoes of choice
- Red onion
- Vegan Coconut Bacon
Served cold or hot, this potato salad recipe is scrumptious!
Even though German Potato Salad is traditionally served warm, it tastes just as fabulous cold.
To serve this recipe warm, prepare all the ingredients by chopping the vegetables and making the dressing. Then, as soon as the potatoes are boiled, combine the vegetables, dressing, and coconut bacon, toss and serve.
However, my preference is to combine the cooked potatoes and other ingredients and refrigerate, so the flavors enhance. Next, I either serve the salad cold or reheat it and serve it warm.
What is in the oil-free dressing?
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Pure maple syrup
- Black pepper
What makes the German Potato Salad fabulous is the coconut bacon!
To make coconut bacon, you need unsweetened coconut chips, not flakes.
Instead of Vegan Coconut Bacon, add a teaspoon of liquid smoke to the dressing.
If you love potato salad, try these vegan potato salad recipes!
German Potato Salad
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes sliced in halves or quarters
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 cup diced celery
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- Vegan Coconut Bacon Click this link
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare Vegan Coconut Bacon according to directions provided on the link.
- Slice potatoes in halves or quarters
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and boil for approximately 15 minutes (this varies due to the size of potatoes, so check for tenderness with a fork. (Since I quartered my baby potatoes, it took under 15 minutes to cook my potatoes. Larger potatoes, however, take around 30 minutes).
- Chop onions, chives, dill, celery
- Whisk all ingredients together; set aside
- Once potatoes are drained, transfer them to a large bowl.
- Add chopped vegetables
- Add coconut bacon
- Pour dressing over the top.
- Toss together
- Serve while warm or cover and served cold.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂