When I make pasta dishes, my first priority is to include more veggies than pasta. As a result, I eat a little pasta and have a full plate of veggies in one sitting. In today's world, so many kinds of pasta exist the possibilities are endless. Personally, I love veggie pasta; pasta made from vegetables. Then, I added my favorite Meditterean ingredients to make healthy Greek pasta salad. Not only is this salad full of veggies, but healthy Greek pasta salad is easy to make.
First, this salad can be prepared in advance; I made it the day before. Because I used kale as my base greens, it is better to make ahead, so the kale can absorb the dressing. In fact, the salad is actually better the next day, so make extra, because leftover Greek pasta salad is the best.
WHAT KIND OF PASTA IS BEST FOR HEALTHY GREEK PASTA SALAD RECIPE?
Although you can use any pasta noodles for this recipe, I used Wacky Mac Spiral Veggie Spirals made of beetroot, spinach, and tomato. another reason I chose this particular noodle was because of its vibrant noodle colors with the vegetables. If you decide to use gluten-free noodles, however, make sure you rinse them thoroughly for this healthy Greek salad recipe and dress it, so it doesn't dry out quickly.
Another helpful hint is to run cold water over the noodles immediately after cooking. Also, be sure to move the noodles around to ensure all the noodles are cool. Then, remove any excess water by shaking the colander.
Once the pasta is cooled, and the excess water is removed, pour the pasta into a large bowl and prepare the other ingredients.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED FOR THE HEALTHY GREEK PASTA SALAD?
In order to create a greek pasta salad, I focused on typical ingredients in a vegan Greek salad. I also used the same hummus, lemon dressing I used in my Skinny Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing. The combination of hummus, lemon, and red wine vinegar is tangy and tart.
- 8 pounces vegetable pasta, cooked according to directions and cooled immediately. (or any pasta of choice)
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch kale ( approximately 5 cups), stem removed, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large English cucumber, diced
- 1 red onion, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, sliced in half
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 can artichoke hearts, in water, drained and diced
- 1/2 cup banana peppers
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 Tablespoons capers
- 4 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
In order to cut my veggies all the same size, I always use my favorite kitchen tool, my Pro-Vegetable Chopper. As a result, I save a ton of time in the kitchen.
ADD ANOTHER LEVEL OF HEALTHY TO GREEK PASTA SALAD BY ADDING TOFU FETA CHEESE FOR EXTRA PROTEIN
In fact, adding Tofu Feta Cheese to healthy greek pasta salad takes it to the next level of yum. Instead, I make Tofu Feta Cheese ahead of time and it marinates in the Mediterranean flavors until its time to serve.
All you need is a good tofu press and a few simple ingredients:
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into four equal large slabs for grilling or baking
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow or white miso paste
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large lemon juiced and zested
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
The next important and vital part of every healthy salad is an oil-free salad dressing. My favorite dressing I love to make is from my Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing. Not only is it simple, but it also tastes fabulous, especially when the pasta noodles absorb the flavors of the dressing.
WHAT'S IN OMG OIL-FREE DRESSING USED FOR HEALTHY GREEK PASTA SALAD RECIPE?
- 1/2 cup hummus of choice (I used Engine Brand)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)
- 3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- Add a little water to thin and adjust to your taste
If you meal prep, as I do, double the recipe, eat the Healthy Greek Pasta Salad for dinner and pack it into containers to take for lunch during the week.
LOOKING FOR HEALTHY SALAD RECIPES TO ADD INTO YOUR ROUTINE? WE HAVE YOU ALL HOOKED UP!
- Antipasto Salad
- Asparagus Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Spinach Strawberry Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
- Greek Orzo Salad
- Bean Salad
- Lentil Salad
- Tabouli Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- 20 Great Vegan Recipes for Memorial Day
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂