During the week, I try to make at least one quick and easy meal the whole family will enjoy. Today, for instance, I decided to make Italian Sandwiches. In my family, everyone loves a hearty veggie sandwich. So I marinated a bunch of my favorite veggies in my Creamy Italian Dressing to make Italian sandwiches for dinner.
In order to enjoy a hearty Italian sandwich, the first step is selecting the vegetables. Although I chose certain vegetables, any vegetables you enjoy work well for this Italian sandwich recipe.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED FOR VEGGIE ITALIAN SANDWICHES?
- Whole grain vegan buns
- Creamy Italian Dressing
- Red bell peppers
- Yellow zucchini
- Green zucchini
- White onion
MARINATING THE VEGETABLES FOR ITALIAN SANDWICHES
Once the vegetables are cut, marinate the vegetables for the Italian Sandwiches in a container for a Ziplock bag. As a general rule, I prefer to marinate overnight, or for at least a few hours.
Then, I chose to grill my vegetables in a grill basket. Even though I prefer grilling, roasting is also an option.
GRILLING OR ROASTING THE MARINATED VEGETABLES
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees
- Remove vegetables from the container or bag, reserving the leftover marinade.
- Place the vegetables in the grill basket and put the basket on the hot grill
- Toss the vegetables every 3-4 minutes, adding additional marinade, for a total of 12 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
ROASTING VS. GRILLING ITALIAN VEGETABLES FOR ITALIAN SANDWICHES
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Using a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, place vegetables on the baking pan in a single layer, reserving the leftover marinade to use throughout the cooking process.
- Roast for 20 minutes, removing the vegetables from the oven halfway through and tossing with remaining marinade, and cook for the remaining time.
QUICK TIPS ON REDUCING BREAD FOR A CRISPIER SANDWICH
For those who avoid bread or prefer a crunchy sandwich, I suggest removing some of the bread from both sides of the bun in the center. Be careful, though, so you do not break through the bun.
Instead, scoop out each side, hollowing out the bun slightly. Then, I use the remaining bread for bread crumbs at a later time.
Regardless if you leave the buns intact, or remove the insides, I drizzle Creamy Italian Dressing on the bun and fill both sides with a generous layer of vegetables. Then, I add more creamy Italian dressing to the top of the veggies before broiling in the oven.
BROILING ITALIAN SANDWICHES WITH CREAMY ITALIAN DRESSING
The final step is broiling the sandwiches to get the bun crispy and to heat the veggies a second time. Since I chose an Italian theme for this sandwich, I served this Italian sandwich with Vegan Italian Wedding Soup, but an Italian Chopped Salad is fabulous as well.
IF YOU LOVE YUMMY VEGAN SANDWICHES, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Vegetable Sandwich
- Lentil Burgers
- Falafel Burger
- Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- Oil-Free Hummus and Tabbouleh Wrap
- Quinoa Burgers
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Beet Burger
- Pulled Pork Sweet Potato Sandwich
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Curry Chickpea Sandwich Spread
- Egg Salad
- Chicken Salad