When I'm in the mood for a healthy sandwich, vegetable sandwiches are easy to make and very filling. In order to build the perfect vegetable sandwich recipe, simply find a great vegan bread and fresh in-season vegetables.
What I love about a great vegetable sandwich is the variety of ingredients to add to any sandwich. But as I said, it all begins with the bread. For those of you who follow an oil-free diet, there are a variety of oil-free bread options. And, for those who have gluten issues, gluten-free bread is readily available as well.
So, let's first talk about bread for the vegetable sandwich. Although I love Lavash bread, which is oil-free, I like variety in my choices of bread. For instance, we buy whole-grain, oil-free bagels (shown above) at a bakery near our home. Since everyone is not lucky enough to have that option, here are some of my bread suggestions for the vegetable sandwich.
Also, be sure to check your local bakery ingredients; they may surprise you!
OIL-FREE BREAD OPTIONS FOR MAKING A GREAT VEGETABLE SANDWICH
Since many people on a plant-based diet follow a whole foods approach, here are some of my favorite oil-free bread brands:
- Dave's Killer Bread (They listened and have taken oil out of some flavors; check the labels)
- Atoria's Whole Grain & Flax Lavash
- Turlock Pita Bread: Vegan Whole Wheat (Whole Foods)
- Trader Joe’s Pita Bread (100% stone-ground whole wheat)
- Trader Joe’s Whole Grain Crispbread (more like a cracker, but I love vegetables on top)
- Engine Corn Tortillas (Whole Foods)
- Vermont Bread Company Organic Whole Wheat Variety (Whole Foods) (Most Vermont Bread Company brand bead does not contain oil, but a few do, so check the label)
- Food for Life Ezekiel (4:9 bread varieties, English muffins, and tortillas) (Found in most grocery chains in the refrigerator section).
- Alvarado Breads (make sure you check the label; most are oil-free, but some varieties contain oil. Check the link for a variety of retailers.
- Mission corn tortillas( widely available at most grocery retail chains or online)
GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS FOR BUILDING A VEGETABLE SANDWICH
- Food for Life Bread (Brown Rice)
- Ener-G (Brown rice loaf, tapioca loaf, and hamburger buns, white rice, English muffins, and a variety of others)
- Glutino (three varieties of bread and English muffins)
- Manna Organics (Variety of oil-free and gluten-free options)
- Three Bakers (15 varieties)
WHAT VEGETABLES GO WELL IN A VEGETABLE SANDWICH RECIPE?
For my favorite vegetable sandwich, I used the following vegetables:
- Live lettuce
- Hothouse tomatoes
- Red onions
- Sunflower Sprouts
OTHER SUGGESTED VEGETABLE OPTIONS FOR VEGETABLE SANDWICH TOPPINGS:
- Red bell peppers
- White onion
- Green pepper
WHAT SAUCE OR DRESSINGS ARE GREAT ON VEGETABLE SANDWICHES?
For instance, I'm a mustard lover! I love mustard on everything, so I used mustard on my vegetable sandwich. But, I like a lot of other sauces and dressings as well. One of my favorites, for instance, is Skinny Blackberry Dijon Sauce.
OTHER SUGGESTED DRESSINGS OR SAUCES FOR VEGETABLE SANDWICHES
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Skinny Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus Salad Dip
- Skinny Vegan Cashew Mayo
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Skinny Vegan Thousand Island Dressing
- Vegan French Dressing
SANDWICH LOVERS REJOICE! TRY THESE HEALTHY SANDWICHES!
- Skinny Greek Wrap Sandwich
- Vegan Curry Chickpea Sandwich Spread
- Pulled Pork Sweet Potato Sandwich
- Vegan BLT
- BBQ Tofu
- BBQ Tempeh
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Jackfruit Tuna Salad
- Vegan Egg Salad
- Vegan Turkey
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂