Although I usually make my plant based “tuna” Vegan Chickpea Salad Stuffed Tomato with chickpeas, I opted for jackfruit today. For those of you who have not tried Jackfruit, it is a fruit grown on a tree.
Despite being available in stores, the actual fruit size is quite large and difficult to navigate. Because of this, I buy my jackfruit in brine at Trader Joes. If you don’t have a Trader Joes, or an Asian market near you, try this link Jackfruit on AMAZON.
First, it is important to buy canned jackfruit in water or brine. Be careful not to buy the jackfruit in syrup! Also, Jackfruit can be purchased in packs in the refrigerator section, but these packets are generally flavored.
Once you have the canned jackfruit, the process of making the salad is fairly easy. I like to shred the jackfruit, so it has the texture of tuna. To do this, I use my Hamilton Beach Food Processor.
Then, I use my Skinny Cashew Garlic Lemon Aioli recipe for the “mayo.” Although you may choose any vegetables, I picked diced celery, green onions, and dill. Also, I served my jackfruit tuna on a spinach vegan wrap with romaine lettuce, tomato, and pickles.
Furthermore, the secret is in the seasoning. My preference is Old Bay Seasoning , but any creole type seasoning will work. I also used Roasted Seaweed in my salad. For this ingredient, you can also use Nori Sheets or Dulse Flaked Seaweed.
Jackfruit is a versatile fruit you can use for a variety of recipes. Try is as a vegan version of “tuna” salad.
- 2 15.5 ounce cans of jackfruit in brine or water
- 1 cup diced celery (yield 1 cup)
- 10 green onions, chopped (yield 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup Skinny Cashew Garlic Lemon Aioli
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning, or creole seasoning of choice
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Roasted Seasweed
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 3 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Use a jarred plant based mayo
- Add capers
- Add chopped red pepper
- Add chopped pickles
- Add red pepper flakes
PREPARE THE JACKFRUIT
- Rinse and drain canned jackfruit
- Remove any visual seeds
- In the large bowl of a food processor, using the large cutting blade, pulse on high until the jackfruit resembles the texture of tuna fish
- Remove jackfruit from the food processor bowl, and place in a large mixing bowl
- Click here to make the recipe, Skinny Cashew Garlic Lemon Aioli , or you may use any plant-based mayo of choice
- Chopped vegetables
- Add everything to the bowl of jackfruit
- Stir well
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The longer the seaweed infuses into the salad the better, so for optimal taste, refrigerate over night.
- Serve on bread as a sandwich, serve open face with melted vegan cheese as a “tuna” melt, add tot a salad, eat by itself in a bow, or dip your favorite crackers
- I served in a vegan wrap with tomato, romaine lettuce, and pickles.
Keywords: jackfruit, jackfruit tuna, vegan tuna, sandwich spread, sandwich , salad, vegan, plant based