Whenever I eat pasta, I always add a little spice. If I order Arrabbiata sauce, or even make a mild pasta sauce, the red pepper flakes are always on the table. So, I created my own Penne Arrabbiata with a quick and easy Arrabbiata sauce. In fact, Arrabbiata means angry in Italian referring to the spiciness in the red chili peppers. In order to make an amazing, happy Penne Arrabbiata, it requires the perfect balance between sweetness and spiciness.
I chose penne pasta, for instance, because the penne holds the sauce inside its little penne tubes. And, of course, I added a little magic to make my Penne Arrabbiata a little tastier.
Typically, restaurant Penne Arrabbiata is primarily made of tomatoes, olive oil, red chili, and garlic, but mine is oil-free.
ARRABBIATA SAUCE QUICK AND EASY IN ONE PAN
Even though I love Arrabbiata sauce alone, my Penne Arrabbiata needed a little onion, shallot, and mushrooms to make my palate complete. So, as usual, my version of Arrabbiata sauce has a Kathy twist. First, I saute diced onions and shallots together. Then, I add mushrooms.
Most Arrabbiata sauce recipes do not contain mushrooms, but I simply love mushrooms. Not only do mushrooms give the sauce a meaty taste , but the mushrooms are also good for you.
WHAT SIMPLE INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED FOR THE SAUCE?
- White onion
- Strained Tomatoes (I used POMI)
- Chopped Tomatoes (I used POMI)
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- White Wine
The sauce, however, is simple to make, and all cooks in one pan. For this sauce recipe, I chose POMI tomatoes for a variety of reasons.
Pomi chopped and strained tomatoes, for instance, have a single ingredient: fresh tomatoes ripened under the sun. For that reason, always try to use Pomi tomatoes in my recipes, because they are fresh, oil-free, and sugar-free.
Once the penne is cooked separately, I add the delicious Arrabbiata sauce and stir it together.
Next, I add fresh basil and serve. Not only is Penne Arrabbiata a quick and easy pasta dish. But, it also reheats well for lunch the next day.
And the taste will bring you back for more. So, put a little spicy in your life and give Penne Arrabbiata a try. I also served my Vegan Garlic Bread on the side!
DO YOU LOVE SAVORY, QUICK PASTA RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT!
- Vegan Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Lemon Pasta
- Bruschetta Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Cajun Pasta Salad
- Enchilada Pasta
- Vegan Pasta Primavera
- One-Pot Tomato Basil Pasta
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe
- Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Vegan Goulash
- In a large pot, saute the garlic onion and shallot until translucent.
- Add the crushed red pepper flakes and the sliced mushrooms and continue sauteing until browned (add a little water or vegetable broth to avoid sticking)
- Now, add the strained tomatoes and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil; then reduce heat to simmer
- Add wine, and stir.
- Allow simmering, while the noodles cook.
- Cook penne following the package instructions.
- Drain the noodles and return to the pan the noodles were cooked in.
- Then, add the Arrabbiata sauce to the noodles.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with chopped basil.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂