Since becoming plant-based, salads have become a staple in my healthy eating plan. I try, for instance, to include a large salad a day in my meal plan. In order to stay consistent with my plan, I need to create a variety of salads, so I don’t get bored. Chopped tabouli Salad, for example, is one of my favorites salads!
Although I make a lot of Mediterranean salad recipes, each one is different in the combination of ingredients, as well as, the dressings. My Mediterranean Couscous Salad, for instance, has a couscous base and is filled with tomatoes, kalamata olives, cucumbers, and red onions. On the other hand, my Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing is a combination of greens, quinoa, beets, and other Mediterranean flavors. And, my Skinny Greek Veggie Pasta Salad, is a pasta-based salad loaded with vegetables.
Even though many salads contain some of the same ingredients, each has its own unique flair. For that reason, I created a chopped tabouli salad with my own special flair, as yet another unique salad to add to my list of favorite salads.
WHAT MAKES MY CHOPPED TABOULI SALAD DIFFERENT FROM OTHER SALADS?
As I said, it’s all in the combination of ingredients and the dressing. My tabouli salad, for instance, is full of fresh greens, vegetables, grilled tofu, with an oil-free lemon vinegarette dressing. But, my tabouli salad is unique because I add mixed greens, pine nuts, raisins, and corn. Then I top it with tofu. So an ordinary tabouli salad is transformed into a version I absolutely love!
- Mixed Greens
- Roma tomatoes
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion,
- Fresh parsley
- Pine nuts
- Grilled Tofu (Extra firm tofu)
WHAT IS IN THE GRILLED TOFU MARINADE FOR THE TABBOULI SALAD?
- 1 cup unflavored, plain vegan yogurt (I used Kite Hill)
- 2 lemons, juiced; 1 of the lemons zested
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
The grilled tofu marinade, for example, is a modified greek yogurt marinade my grandmas used to use with chicken. Of course, I changed some of the ingredients to make it vegan, and I deleted the oil.
Before you marinate the tofu, however, you need to press the tofu correctly.
HOW TO CORRECTLY PRESS TOFU FOR CHOPPED TABOULI SALAD RECIPE
Then, I figured it out with the help of my EZ Tofu Press. I bought it on Amazon, and in the beginning, I made the same mistakes. I didn’t follow the directions ( a problem I have haha); I was in a hurry as I usually am, and I got the same results….tasteless tofu I didn’t like.
Not only is the E-Z Tofu Press easy to use, but it is also the cheapest one on the market! And, I have owned it for years, and never had to replace it with a new one. So, if you are looking for a quality tofu press, that won’t break the bank, this one is a great deal.
FOLLOWING THESE SIMPLE STEPS, HOWEVER, AND BEING PATIENT, IS WHAT GOOD TOFU IS ALL ABOUT.
STEPS FOR PERFECTLY PRESSED TOFU EVERY TIME:
- First, carefully remove the tofu from the package, discarding the fluid from the package. It’s delicate, though, so be gentle.
- Then, place the tofu in the middle of the press and turn both knobs equally about four turns.
- I usually place the tofu press in the sink on its side to drain properly.
- Turn the knobs every two minutes, equally until the tofu is about an inch or inch and a half thickness.
- Most people stop here….NOT YET. Keep turning until the knobs are screwed as far as they can to almost touch the opposite end.
GRILLING INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING GRILLED TOFU FOR TABOULI SALAD
- Preheat the grill to low (400 degrees)
- Place a grill mat on the grill or place the tofu directly on the grill for grill marks.
- Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, rotating every four minutes for the grill marks (16 total minutes)
- Remove the tofu from the grill and cool until you are able to cut it into cubes.
- Then, cut the grilled tofu in cubes and return it to the marinade.
OTHER WAYS TO COOK TOFU IF YOU DON’T HAVE A GRILL OR WEATHER DOESN’T PERMIT
BAKED VERSION (If you don’t have a grill)
- Follow the same directions for marinating
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place tofu pieces on a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; I used my copper crisper pan
- Dip the marinated tofu on each side with cornstarch
- Place large pieces into the basket, not touching each other
- Cook on 370 for 10 minutes
- Open the basket and turn large tofu pieces over
- Bake for 10 more minutes
Regardless of how you choose to cook your tofu, I then cut it into cubes, so I can add it to Mediterranean grilled tofu salad.
In order to be healthier, I have pledged to eat more salads. As a result, I plan to create as many different salad recipes so I don’t get bored. If you would like to increase your greens and be more healthy, I have included some of my favorite salad recipes so far.
HEALTHY AND NUTRIENT-DENSE SALADS FOR A HEALTHIER YOU…
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Fattoush Salad
- Skinny Vegan Rainbow Salad
- Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing
- Kale Harvest Salad with Skinny Roasted Pumpkin Vinaigrette
- Skinny Vegan Caesar Salad
- The Skinny Good Earth Kale Salad
- Kale and Quinoa Southwestern Salad with Cumin Citrus Dressing