Mexican food is often not very vegan friendly unless of course you order greasy Fajitas, but then you need to skip the cheese, sour cream, and often times the guacamole, because it is filled with sour cream and fat. Instead, try lentil tacos, home-made, low-fat, and delicious.
We love flour and corn tortillas, and everything about tacos, especially the variety of vegetables you can fill in your shell. For this recipe, I opted for corn tortillas. Lower in fat, and thicker in texture, these shells hold all the ingredients I pack into these tacos.
Lentil Taco ‘Meat’ is easy to prepare and heats up well. It can also be frozen if you choose to make a bunch h in advance. I also like to add black beans, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeños, and avocado (if you are following a low-fat vegan diet, omit).
We eat tacos so often, in a variety of ways, that I decided to buy this little taco gadget called a Stainless Steel Taco Holder. It holds the tacos upright, so they don’t fall apart.
Can you tell I love kitchen gadgets? We our taco holders last night for ‘Taco Tuesday,’ and they worked great. It actually holds the shells in place to add everything at once, without anything falling out. I actually picked up my taco, with all the ‘fixins,’ and everything stayed in tact. This little gadget is a modern taco miracle.
*The following recipe is doubled because this recipe can be frozen; so when I make it, I freeze half.Print
If you are craving healthy, low fat Mexican food, lentil tacos will satisfy your southwestern desires. Tasty and ‘meaty,’ these tacos are filling and guilt-free.
LENTIL TACO ‘MEAT’
- 1 1/2 cups Brown, Red, or Green Lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 large, diced White Onion
- 2 cloves, mined Garlic
- 1 Jalapeño de-seeded
- 2 cans Rotel Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 4 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- 2 packages El Paso Taco Seasoning or use your own brew
- 1 package Corn or Flour Tortillas
- 20 Grape Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 3 Jalapeños, de-seeded and sliced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 Avocado, sliced
- 1 cup Salsa of Choice
- Sauté the onion in a medium sized saute pan with the garlic and jalapeno.
- You do not need oil.
- The vegetables sweat and produce their own moisture.
- You can always splash with vegetable broth, but don’t waste the fat and calories on oil.
- When the onions begin to be translucent, add the lentils and 3 cups of the vegetable broth, 1 can of the tomatoes, and the seasoning packages, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cook, covered for 30 minutes.
PREPARE VEGGIES FOR TOPPINGS
- Dice onion, tomato, jalapeno.
- Shred lettuce.
- Cut avocado into chunks.
LENTIL MEAT STEP 2
- After 30 minutes, remove the top of the saute pan, and stir the contents.
- Add the next can of tomatoes.
- Continue to cook on low, stirring often.
- Use the remaining vegetable broth if the mixture appears dry.
- The goal is for it to have a thick consistency.
- You can use a microwave or an oven.
- If using an oven you want to wrap them to avoid them drying out.
- Place in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Keywords: tacos, lentil taco meat, lentils, vegan tacos, no oil, corn tortillas,