Who doesn't love a good baked tater tot? I grew up eating Ore-Ida Tater Tots. Those little tots were my favorite, with a whopping 160 calories for 8 small tots. Truth be told, I ate way more than 8 per serving. This Baked Tater Tots recipe has 60 calories for 2 servings...
As an adult, my love for the little potato nuggets hasn't disappeared. Fortunately, making vegan baked tater tots at home makes eating as many as I want guilt-free.
EASY TO MAKE WITH VERY FEW INGREDIENTS
Although many assume making homemade tater tots is difficult, they are simple and have very few ingredients.
In fact, you can make a variety of types of tater tots recipes just by choosing different seasonings and combinations of ingredients. In this recipe, for example, I will supply the main tot recipe, as well as a variety of versions, so you can choose your flavors.
First, you need to choose your potato. Although I use sweet potatoes, you can use white baking potatoes if you like. Despite my preference for the texture of the sweet potatoes for this particular tater tots recipe, any potato will do. Then, simply cook them, add shredded zucchini, and a few other ingredients. The fun is rolling them into tots.
KIDS LOVE THEM AND CAN HELP IN THE KITCHEN
By the way, this is a GREAT project for your kids to help with. Not only can they roll combine the ingredients, but they can roll the tots and watch them bake. Of course, the best part is dipping them in your favorite sauce once they are baked golden brown.
VARIETIES OF TATER TOTS
Not only can you choose whatever potatoes you like, but the flavor of your tots is also all about the seasoning and the extra ingredient you add. For instance, if you are seeking a spicy tot, add some adobo chili sauce or a squeeze of Sriracha or some red pepper flakes. Another idea is to add rosemary and garlic, or fresh dill and lemon zest for another flavor. Regardless of the seasonings you choose, the tots take on the flavors and bake inside.
Furthermore, your sauce selection will change your tots tremendously. If you prefer a spicy sauce, try adding Sriracha to your ketchup. BBQ sauce is another great dipping sauce, as well as tahini dressing, vegan Cashew Ranch Dressing, or my favorite vegan buffalo sauce. Variety is the spice of life after all.
WHAT OTHER WAYS CAN I USE MY TOTS?
Recently, my husband and I went to one of our favorite vegan restaurants, and they were serving "Totchos." Yes, it is just like it sounds like; tater tot nachos, so if that sounds good, swap out my thin sliced potatoes in my Vegan Guilt-Free Potato Nachos…A Game-Day Treat! Or, if you are a chili sauce fan like me, use the tots for the base, instead of french fries, like in my Skinny AF Loaded Chili Fries, and cover with chili and guacamole for chili tots.
Baked Tater Tots
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into equal sized large chunks 2 cups mashed
- 2 medium zucchini grated (1 ½ cup grated)
- ⅓ cup almond flour more may be needed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or Cajun seasoning
VARIETY OF TOTS
- Add 2 Tablespoons chopped rosemary
- Add 2 Tablespoons chopped dill
- Add 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- Add ½ small chopped onion
- Add 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- Peel a large sweet potato and cut it into large similar sized chunks
- Place sweet potato chunks in a pan and cover with water.
- Boil; reduce heat to medium low and cook until sweet potato is cooked through and tender when stabbed with a fork (approximately 20 minutes)
- Using a cheese grater, shred both zucchinis
- Using a paper towel, toss to get rid of some of the water in the zucchini
- When sweet potato is cooked through, drain the water.
- Place sweet potato is a bowl and mash throughly with a fork until no large chunks exist.
- Add grated zucchini
- Add flour, nutritional yeast, and seasonings.
- Stir together with a fork, mixing all the ingredients together.
- The mixture will be damp. If it is wet, add more almond flour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Using your hands, forms similar size tater tots.
- Place each tot on the pan about ¼ inch or less apart
- Make sure the oven is hot and pre-heated before you put the tots in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes; then roll each one over and bake 15 more minutes
WHAT OTHER WAYS CAN I USE MY TOTS?Recently, my husband and I went to one of our favorite vegan restaurants, and they were serving "Totchos." Yes, it is just like it sounds like; tater tot nachos, so if that sounds good, swap out my thin sliced potatoes in my Vegan Guilt-Free Potato Nachos…A Game-Day Treat! Or, if you are a chili sauce fan like me, use the tots for the base, instead of french fries, like in my Skinny AF Loaded Chili Fries, and cover with chili and guacamole for chili tots.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂