Have you discovered the magic of cashews? I’m in love with Cashew Mac and Cheese topped with Coconut Bacon! What can I say? It’s a game-changer.
When we were in San Diego recently, we ate at one of the best vegan restaurants EVER!! Although we went to many vegan restaurants on our trip, Donna Jean stands out as one of the best plant-based eating experience we have ever encountered.
First, we ordered the most incredible cashew mac and cheese I have ever eaten. Served in an iron skillet, Donna Jean’s cashew mac and cheese recipe was so creamy and delicious, I couldn’t believe it was vegan. Of course, I begged for the recipe, and without hesitation, the waitress told me the secret to cashew mac and cheese: raw cashews, miso, and coconut milk. So, after many trials and errors, I mastered it.
MAKING THE CREAMY CASHEW MAC AND CHEESE SAUCE IS MAGICAL
As with most dishes, the magic is in the sauce. Once I knew the secret to make the best cashew mac and cheese, I had to figure out the combination of those ingredients to make the magic happen. Even though I would love to tell you it happened te first time, I would be a liar. In fact, I think mastering cashew mac and cheese took more time than I would like to admit. But now that I figured it out, I thought I should share it with you.
CASHEW MAC AND CHEESE SAUCE: CASHEWS, MISO, AND COCONUT MILK OH MY!
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight). You don’t have to soak them if you have a high-quality, high-speed blender.
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons coconut milk (full fat in a can)
- 2 Tablespoons White Miso Paste
- 4 Green Onions, bottom greens removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Shallot
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke (I used hickory flavor)
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT BACON FOR CASHEW MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE
Then, I figured why not make it more decadent by adding coconut bacon. Although I have made tempeh bacon, as well as mushroom, eggplant, and soy bacon, coconut bacon is by far my favorite. And, it is so easy to make.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
CREAMY, DREAMY CASHEW MAC AND CHEESE IS DRESSED TO IMPRESS!
I hope you love this cashew mac and cheese as much as I do. Even if you don’t add the coconut bacon, you won’t be disappointed.
Cashew mac and cheese is fabulous either way. Add a little hot sauce to kick it up a notch, if that’s is your thing.
IF YOU LOVE CASHEW MAC AND CHEESE AND CREAMY PASTA RECIPES, TRY THESE!
- Healthy Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Chipotle Mac and Cheese
- Skinny Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta
- Vegan Cajun Pasta
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe
- Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff