Have you discovered the magic of cashews? I'm in love with Cashew Mac and Cheese topped with Coconut Bacon! What can I say? It's a game-changer. Vegan cashew mac and cheese is simply to die for!
When we were in San Diego recently, we ate at one of the best vegan restaurants EVER!!
Although we went to many vegan restaurants on our trip, Donna Jean stands out as one of the best plant-based eating experience we have ever encountered.
First, we ordered the most incredible vegan mac and cheese I have ever eaten. Served in an iron skillet, Donna Jean's cashew mac and cheese recipe was so creamy and delicious; I couldn't believe it was vegan.
Of course, I begged for the recipe, and without hesitation, the waitress told me the secret to epic mac and cheese: raw cashews, miso, and coconut milk. So, after many trials and errors, I mastered it but switched out the coconut milk for oat milk for a less fat version.
MAKING CREAMY MAC AND CHEESE SAUCE IS MAGICAL
As with most dishes, the magic is in the sauce. Once I knew the secret to make the best cashew mac and cheese, I had to figure out the combination of those ingredients to make the magic happen.
Even though I would love to tell you it happened the first time, I would be a liar. In fact, I think mastering cashew mac and cheese took more time than I would like to admit. But now that I figured it out, I thought I should share it with you.
CASHEW MAC AND CHEESE SAUCE: CASHEWS, MISO, AND OAT MILK OH MY!
- Raw cashews (soaked overnight). You don't have to soak them if you have a high-quality, high-speed blender.
- Oat Milk (or plant-milk of choice)
- Lemon juice
- Roasted Red Pepper
- White Miso Paste
- Green Onions
- Dijon Mustard
- Garlic powder
- Nutritional Yeast
- Liquid Smoke (I used hickory flavor)
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT BACON FOR CASHEW MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE
Then, I figured why not make it more decadent by adding coconut bacon. Although I have made tempeh bacon and mushroom, eggplant, and soy bacon, coconut bacon is by far my favorite. And it is so easy to make.
- Unsweetened coconut chips
- Maple Syrup
- Tamari or Soy Sauce
- Liquid Smoke ( I used hickory flavor)
CREAMY, DREAMY CASHEW MAC AND CHEESE IS DRESSED TO IMPRESS!
I hope you love this mac and cheese recipe as much as I do. Even if you don't add the coconut bacon, you won't be disappointed.
Cashew mac and cheese is fabulous either way. Add a little hot sauce to kick it up a notch, if that's your thing. Or add some roasted balsamic vegetables and make it a party in a bowl!
IF YOU LOVE MAC AND CHEESE AND CREAMY PASTA RECIPES, TRY THESE!
- Healthy Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Chipotle Mac and Cheese
- Skinny Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta
- Vegan Cajun Pasta
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe
- Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
Cashew Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight. You don't have to soak them if you have a high-quality high-speed blender.
- ½ cup unsweetened oat milk or plant milk of choice
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons White Miso Paste
- 4 Green Onions bottom greens removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Shallot
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke I used hickory flavor
- 1 roasted red pepper I used a jarred one without oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Coconut Bacon (optional)
- 1 recipe 1 recipe coconut bacon
- 16 ounces of noodles of choice
- Drain and rinse the raw cashews
- Add cashews and all ingredients, except for the macaroni, in a blender.
- If you soaked your cashews, it would take less time to blend (I used a Nutri-bullet)
- If you did not soak your cashews, you need to blend until smooth.
- In a large pot, fill ¾ of water and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Wait until the water starts boiling before adding macaroni.
- Follow directions on the package (I oiled for 7 minutes per package instructions)
- Drain noodles completely in a colander
- Return noodles to the pan
- Add sauce to hot noodles.
- You do not need to heat the sauce. The sauce will heat when pour and stirred onto the hot noodles.
- Serve and add coconut bacon to the top.
Add hot sauce
Add salsa or chopped tomatoes.
Add balsamic roasted vegetables
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂