I have never met a nacho I didn't like, but if it's vegan Greek nachos, I'm in love. As many of you know, I'm half Greek on my mother's side, so I grew up going to Greek Town in downtown Detroit with my parents and grandparents. Then, of course, I wasn't vegan. However, throughout the years, I learned to transform my favorite Greek recipes into plant-based meals. Hence, although not one of grandma's recipes, vegan Greek nachos are one of my favorites!
Instead of traditional nachos, Greek nachos are made with all my favorite Mediterranean ingredients.
Since I didn't want fried pita chips, I made my own with oil-free whole wheat pita bread.
But, if you are looking for a short-cut and eat oil, feel free to opt for your favorite bagged pita chips. Make sure you read the labels if you plan to use bagged chips.
Even some baked chips have oil and other preservatives. And some varieties aren't plant-based.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OIL-FREE PITA CHIPS FOR GREEK NACHOS
Let's talk pita bread. Even though there are many pita bread options in stores, I prefer Trader Joe's oil-free whole wheat pita bread. With a mere 100 calories and no oil, this is my favorite pita pocket!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN TRADER JOE'S WHOLE WHEAT PITA BREAD?
- Whole wheat flour
- Barley malt
- Cultured wheat flour with added vinegar (for added freshness)
With that being said, I buy two packages every time I go to Trader Joe's and freeze it for those times I'm jonesing for bread!
Now, it's just a matter of turning the pita pockets into chips. First, I cut the pita in half and then cut each half into thirds, making 6 identical triangles.
Then, gently pull each triangle apart and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Next, brush lime juice on the exposed pita chips and sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper. Set aside while you prepare the roasted chickpeas for Greek nachos.
HOW TO ROAST CHICKPEAS FOR GREEK NACHOS
Because this Greek nachos recipe has both raw and cooked ingredients, you can, by all means, use chickpeas right from the can, but I love roasted chickpeas!
So, I'm going to roast mine with fresh dill and garlic powder. My crisper pan, for instance, is perfect for making the chickpeas crispy on both sides without having to rotate the chickpeas while cooking.
If you don't have a crisper pan, make sure to use a spatula to rotate the chickpeas to cook evenly.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Place the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the spices onto the wet chickpeas
- Baked for 30 minutes; moving chickpeas around with a spatula halfway through baking
WHAT OTHER INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED FOR VEGAN GREEK NACHOS?
- Tofu Feta Cheese (optional)
- Grape tomatoes
- Red onion
- Kalamata olives
- Tahini dressing
To substitute the tahini dressing, combine ½ cup oil-free hummus and blend with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 2 teaspoons water to thin out. Drizzle on the pita instead of tahini dressing for a less fat option.
Once the pita chips are done cooking, it's time to layer with Mediterranean flavors. Using a serving platter, begin by placing the first layer of pita chips, slightly overlapping.
Next, drizzle with tahini dressing and start layering with half of each ingredient:
- Roasted chickpeas
- Tofu Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- Red onion
- Kalamata olives (optional)
- Grape tomatoes
Then, drizzle more tahini, repeat the process, add more pita chips and the rest of the ingredients. Finish with more tahini on top.
What did my husband say after his first bite? This Vegan Greek nacho recipe is excellent football food! And then it all disappeared. One of the biggest struggles is coming up with healthy food my whole family will love.
When football and food are mentioned in the same sentence, the recipe is designated a keeper at my house.
OTHER MEDITERRANEAN PLANT-BASED RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- Greek Wrap
- Healthy Greek Pasta Salad
- Orzo Salad
- Greek Quinoa Bowl
- Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing
- Vegan Tzatziki (Greek Yogurt Sauce)
- Greek Mini Bites The Perfect Party Appetizer
- Vegan Greek Quesadilla
- Couscous Salad
- Mediterranean Salad
- Vegan Quiche (Mediterranean)
- 6 pita pockets of choice I used whole wheat Trader Joe's Pita Bread
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- salt to taste optional
Roasted Greek Chickpeas
- 15 ounces chickpeas drained but not rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- ¼ cup tahini
- ⅛ cup water
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in halves
- ¼ cup kalamata olives chopped or cut in half (depends how they are packed)
Tofu Feta (optional)
- 1 recipe tofu feta crumbled
TOFU FETA CHEESE (OPTIONAL)
- Prepare1 a recipe for tofu feta ahead of time.
- Crumble and allow to sit in the remaining marinade overnight until ready to use for the Greek nachos.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut pita pockets in half and then each half into thirds, making 6 identical triangles.
- Now, separate each triangle.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, place pita in a single layer, not overlapping.
- Then, using a basting brush, brush a layer of fresh lime juice on the exposed break.
- Sprinkle with garlic and pepper, and set aside.
- Drain the can of chickpeas, but do not rinse.
- Place chickpeas (single layer) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, a silicone baking mat, or use a crisper pan.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, dill, and salt (if using)
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes to roast.
- Note: If using a crisper pan, you do not need to rotate. If using a baking pan, remove the pan from the oven after 15 minutes. Then, using a spatula, turn the chickpeas so they cook evenly.
- When 10 minutes remain on the timer, cook the pita chips for 10 minutes until crispy.
- Remove the chickpeas and the pita chips from the oven.
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Note: To avoid the tahini paste sticking in the bottom of the blender, add the tahini paste last 🙂
- Cut the red onion, tomatoes, olives, and cucumber.
ASSEMBLING THE GREEK NACHOS
- Begin with half of the pita chips and place them slightly overlapping on a platter or plate.
- Next, drizzle with tahini
- Then, add half of each vegetable ingredient and tofu feta, evenly distributing over the top of the pita chips and drizzling again with tahini dressing.
- Now, add a second layer of pita chips and the rest of the ingredients.
- Drizzle with more tahini over the top and serve.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂
Hi Kathy, I’ve made this recipe and it’s fabulous! Thanks for sharing. My own twist is to use my air fryer instead of my oven. It’s smaller - but I’m cooking much smaller portions than you are. Patti
Hi Patti! I use my air-fryer too, but I was making a big batch, so I didn't want to cook them in small batches. I love my air-fryer.