Whenever I think of fall and Thanksgiving, I dream of butternut squash potato soup! Although I love this soup all year long, it tastes better when the temperature outside is cooler, and butternut squash is in season. Not only is this soup easy to make, but butternut squash potato soup its savory and sweet flavors satisfies everyone at the table.
For the best results, I make this butternut squash potato soup recipe in a crockpot. After attempting to cook it in different ways, cooking for several hours low and slow allows the five ingredients in the crockpot to develop the flavors.
Butternut squash is very sweet, but combining baking potatoes, onions and shallots transforms the sweet butternut squash into a savory soup recipe.
Since the whole soup brews in the crockpot, I combine the ingredients the night before in the base of the crockpot. In the morning, Add the base to the bottom portion of the crockpot and turn it on. Then don't worry about it until a few minutes before serving dinner. Or, make it ahead and keep it warm while preparing the rest of the meal.
What ingredients are in butternut squash and potato soup?
- White onion
- Butternut squash
- Baking potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Lemon juice
- Lite coconut milk or plant-milk of choice
Cashew cream (Optional)
- Raw cashews
- Lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Pistachios, chopped
How to make butternut squash potato soup
One of the reasons I love this soup is because it all cooks in a crockpot for hours without me doing anything. Also, the soup can be cooked and blended ahead of time and reheated quickly for a meal like Thanksgiving dinner.
To make it fancy, add some pistachios, fresh sage, and cashew cream. Regrdless, the process is simple with very few ingredients.
If you love tasty vegan soup recipes, give these recipes a try!
- Soup Recipes for the Fall
- Vegan Tomato Soup
- Crockpot Split Pea Soup
- Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup
- Potato Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Butternut Squash Potato Soup
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large shallot minced
- 1 large butternut squash approximately 1 ¼ pounds, chopped into equal size chunks
- 3 medium baking potatoes skin removed, and cut into equal chunks
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 15 ounces lite coconut milk do not add until after cooking or 1 cup plant-based milk of choice
CASHEW CREAM (optional)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 /4 cup water
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup pistachios chopped
- ¼ cup fresh sage chopped
Butternut Squash potato soup
- In a 6-7 quart crockpot, add all ingredients except the coconut milk.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- Add 1 15 ounce can of lite coconut milk (after cooking) or 1 ¾ cup plant milk of choice.
- Using a hand emulsion blender, blend the soup inside the crockpot. You can also blend in small batches.
Cashew Cream and garnish(optional)
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender
- Blend until smooth.
- Ladle soup into bowls
- Using a squeeze bottle or a spoon, drizzle with cashew cream
- Using a fork, swirl into the bowl
- Add chopped pistachios and chopped sage
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂