Have you ever eaten Trader Joes Meatless Meatballs? Although I like making my own version of vegan tangy crockpot meatless meatballs with my Vegan Lentil Meatballs, I was in a hurry and in need of a quick appetizer to take to a party. I had to work all day, and we had to be at the party an hour after I was expected home, so I opted for the quick option.
Another alternative sold in many stores is Gardein Meatless Meatballs. Any meatless meatballs you choose works perfectly with this quick and easy recipe.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE LENTIL MEATBALLS
My grandma used to say if we knew what was in her meatball recipe, no one would eat them. But, if you tasted them and knew how delicious they were, you would never imagine or care what was in them. I'm sure that isn't how I would feel today, but as a kid, what tasted good we ate.
LENTIL MEATBALLS FOR VEGAN TANGY CROCKPOT MEATLESS MEATBALLS:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked (1 cup dried) Brown Lentils (Trader Joes has great pre-cooked, oil-free, steamed lentils)
- 3 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 minced Shallot
- 3 cloves, minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon, chopped, fresh Basil
- 1/4 cup; chopped, fresh Italian Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Muir Glen Organic Tomato Paste
- 5-6 Tablespoons Italian Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
HOW TO MAKE A FLAX EGG:
- 1 Tablespoons Flaxseed Meal
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon Water
PREPARING THE LENTIL MEATBALLS FOR VEGAN TANGY CROCKPOT MEATLESS MEATBALLS
Another idea is to use a mini-muffin pan to cook the lentil meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Using a food processor, add flaxseed and water and let set up for 2-3 minutes (aquafaba or chickpea juice).
- Add cooked, cooled lentils, sautéed garlic and shallot, Italian seasonings, parsley, tomato paste, and a pinch each salt and pepper to a food processor.
- Pulse, mixing until combined; DO NOT purée or over pulse; it needs the texture of rice.
- Add breadcrumbs, and stir by hand.
- I like it salty, so add salt as you please.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper or herbs for flavor.
- Use a melon baller or cookie dough baller, scoop out rounded Tablespoon amounts of dough, and carefully form into balls.
- You may use your hands (I do).
- I don't use oil, so place lentil meatballs on a baking pan, and bake them. or I use a mini muffin pan to bake the lentil meatballs.
- While the lentil meatballs are baking, keep opening the oven, and shake the pan, moving the meatballs around.
- Cook 30 minutes total, rotating the meatballs every 10 minutes to make sure all sides are covered.
- Remove meatballs from oven and let cool slightly; about 10 minutes.
- They get firm sitting there, so don't disturb them.
HOW TO MAKE THE TANGY SAUCE FOR VEGAN LENTIL MEATLESS MEATBALLS...BAM!
This recipe is so simple and so easy to make, anyone can do it. I use my crockpot, and it takes all of 5 minutes unless you are making your own vegan crockpot meatballs. Meat-eaters and vegan alike LOVE these little tangy veggie balls. So, if you are looking for a quick and easy appetizer to take anywhere to please all people, try this one. You won't be disappointed.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR APPETIZERS THAT WILL PLEASE EVERYONE...
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- French Onion Dip
- Portobello Fries
- Greek Mini Bites The Perfect Party Appetizer
- Vegan Baby Portobello Mushroom Bites Recipe
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Dip Fat-Free and Fabulous
- Tater Tot Nachos
- Vegan Corn Dogs
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂