When I make tomato soup, I close my eyes and remember coming inside after playing in the snow to my mom’s homemade cream of tomato soup. Although most kids don’t like tomatoes, I don’t know many who don’t like tomato soup. In fact, my daughter explained it best, years ago. “Mom, tomato soup is awesome, but tomatoes are disgusting.” Somehow, that was an explanation. Next, all I had to do was figure out how to make vegan tomato soup just as creamy as moms.
WHAT ARE THE SECRETS FOR MAKING VEGAN TOMATO SOUP SO CREAMY?
In order to make the BEST vegan tomato soup, the type of tomatoes you choose is extremely important. Years ago, I discovered POMI tomatoes ! Truly, POMI tomatoes contain one ingredient, TOMATOES; no sugar, oil, or salt. And that is why I only buy POMI.
Another key to vegan tomato soup Is the blender. Even though everyone swears by the Vitamix, I prefer my Nutribullet. Believe it or not, I bought a Vitamix and returned it after I homemade peanut butter, and I spent an hour trying to dig in from the bottom of the blender.
Additionally, my Nutribullet was a quarter of the cost, and I’ve had it for years. Also, it has several size cups to make cooking easier.
The final trick to vegan tomato soup is the use of cashew cream or lite coconut milk. So, if you are allergic to nuts, or don’t eat nuts, I have two options for you to choose your preference.
WHAT IS CASHEW CREAM USED TO MAKE VEGAN TOMATO SOUP CREAMY?
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE VEGAN TOMATO SOUP RECIPE
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (26.46 ounce) box POMI diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup cashew cream (above) or 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Another fun idea is to pair your skinny cream of tomato soup with some vegan grilled cheese croutons; the kids love it!
Since I love soup for a main dish or a cup on the side, vegan tomato soup is perfect for dipping my favorite sandwiches.
- Vegan Muffuletta Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Salad
- Vegan Tempeh Reuben
- BBQ Tempeh
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Jackfruit Tuna Salad
- Vegan BLT
- Vegetable Panini w/ Vegan Pesto Artichoke
- Eggplant Panini Wrap
- Oil-Free Hummus and Tabbouleh Wrap
- Roasted Vegetable and Hummus Grilled Lavash Wrap